Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Abs rear right air gap fault

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
Johnk

Abs rear right air gap fault

Post by Johnk » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:08 pm

Hi all I have a 54 plate 2.0L diesel x3, a few weeks ago I had warning lights on the dash, plugged in a reader and got rear right sensor fault, so I changed the sensor and cleaned the sensor ring, fault cleared after a few times of resetting, so gave driven the car for a few days all good, now I have the same fault lights on the dash so stop the car turn off restart fault gone drive some more and at different times the fault comes back, now reads rear right sensor air gap, can any of you recommend a fix
Thanks
John

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Abs rear right air gap fault

Post by Alan Gunn » Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:38 am

I could be well wrong but i would refit the new sensor as it sounds to ma as it's not quite home.

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Abs rear right air gap fault

Post by Horizon » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:35 pm

When you said you cleaned the exciter ring up, did you remove the driveshaft and inspect clean the ring?
I had a problem with the dash lighting up and diognostics showed rear sensor error.
Also another member had the same, both E83's
The exciter ring get corrosion under it on the shaft and it buckles the ring out of shape and eventually wrecked the sensor ( by rubbing against it )
Both of our cars drive shaft were an absolute mare to split the hub from the driveshaft for the ring to be replaced, I'd post up the original threads, but can't work the forum these days 😳
My indie finally managed after 2 hours and lots of heat and penatrating fluid to get it apart, cleaned up the shaft, fitted a new ring and cleared the fault. Job done
PXd it the week after 😀