Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New X3 Owner -A Few Questions

Discuss anything to do with the (E83) BMW X3 here
(Older F25 discussion within will ideally to be moved to F25 Sub section below)
s6ggo

New X3 Owner -A Few Questions

Post by s6ggo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:14 am

Hi there,

I've introduced myself in the newbies section. Just got a few questions for the X3 guys.

1. I have the 150ps 2.0d engine in my E83, I'm after a bit more power and mpg, are there any recommendations for remaps?

2. My steering wheel button surrounds are peeling, I've thought about getting these redone in silver to match the trim, has anybody done this already and if so were the results any good?

3. I have the standard BMW business cd, without changer, does anybody have any advice regarding upgrading the sound system?

The other things on my list of things to do are a possible dpf removal and window tints.

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance for your answers!

Cheers

Steve

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: New X3 Owner -A Few Questions

Post by Rusty » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:51 am

Remap - pm Jason @ BWchiptune. I understand he can work quite a bit more from the 2.0 diesel

Wheel - A new part probably won't cost too much from the stealers, have you thought about wrapping?

Cd - Go intravee, I'm sure Sanj will be along shortly to advise.

dpf - not sure

Windows - just stay legal on the front tints to avoid unwanted attention.

Hth

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.
Runabout - E92 3 Series Coupe

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:40 pm

Someone on the Z4 forum did a respray of his wheel.

The how-to is here:

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20#p528620
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:40 pm

Be wary of removing the DPF or Cat as the new 2012 MOT rules say if one was originally fitted at manufacture then one must still be fitted and working.

If one was fitted and you then take it off then it's possible that you could end up failing the MOT as the tester will be expecting to see it there and working.  I'm not sure how they check if it's a 'real' DPF rather than a bit of pipe with nothing inside, or if removing it would upset the Engine Management System and bring a warning light on (also now a fail condition.  ;))
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

s6ggo

Post by s6ggo » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:13 pm

Ah, thank you for the information regarding the dpf, angel tuning do a dpf remove including reprogramming the eml, however, if as you say the mot rules have changed it may not be a good idea.

The windows will all be legal.

Thanks for the link to the z4 forum, that looks very helpful.
The part for the wheel isn't really a problem I just thought it may look good in silver to match the rest of the trim.

And I'll speak to Jason soon regarding the remap, maybe planning on doing it in a month or so.

Oh and I'll have a look at the website for intravenous.

Cheers

Steve

mattchubb1

Post by mattchubb1 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:13 pm

Hi there,

and welcome to the club.. :) where's the pics of your new ride?

In reply to your questions - im currently experiencing some running issues with my 2.0d x3.... and my local bmw indy has plugged it in a few times, reset the codes and it keeps coming back with the dpf regenerating too frequently... to which he's recommended getting the dpf removed, mapped out of the system etc... and then hopefully it will work.

The place doing the work has offered me either straight removal of the dpf - and replace with stainless steel pipe - but i've taken the other option that they can do - which is cut along one of the welds... open up the dpf, remove the filter and clear out - then weld back up - therefore giving the impression its still there...

Whilst he's doing the remapping he's offered to upgrade the power as well - so I've said yes to that - so will see what he comes back with and can let you know.

the only thing im worried about is my nice and shiney exhaust pipe currently needs no cleaning.... will need cleaning in the future!

as for the steering wheel - mines not too bad at the moment with no real marks... but i saw a lot of X5's had this issue...

s6ggo

Post by s6ggo » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:25 pm

Hi again,

Sorry I've not replied for so long, I've been away on holiday and had lots to do since I got back.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll have a look into Intravee for the stereo. The steering wheel isn't too bad at the moment, so I can live with that.

I'm going to get in touch about the remap, but with a baby on the way apparently I have other things to be spending my money on haha.

As for the photos, I'll put some up very soon!

Steve