Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Judders / Jerk at stop

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Loperamide

Judders / Jerk at stop

Post by Loperamide » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:15 am

Hi,

I get judders sometimes when going uphill under certain RPM's. It's like the car wants more gas. Also when coming to a stop it jerks forward like someone has hit from behind. Note this seems to happen more frequent the warmer the car gets. Finally the rev counter seems to be sporadic and jumps up and down at certain speeds usually around 40-50mph.

All of this does not seem to happen in sport mode, or is at least not noticable.

Anyone have any pointers?

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Judders / Jerk at stop

Post by henrym3 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:44 pm

What vehicle

Loperamide

Post by Loperamide » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:34 pm

sorry i dont know why the signature is not showing. its a 2003 X5 4.4i
Last edited by Loperamide on Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:45 pm

If the engine is generally running well my initial thought would be a g/b problem. Cheap and cheerful first, check the oil level (properly) if you haven’t got the tool to monitor temperature whilst doing it and know the correct procedure then buy a diagnostics tool that will and read up on how to, get the codes read, otherwise you’ll disappear up your own backside chasing the fault and probably spending more money than would have bought a decent diagnostics tool. Sorry I can’t be more help

Loperamide

Post by Loperamide » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:13 pm

sorry what's a g/b?
2003 X5 4.4i

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:38 pm

gB. Gearbox
The shunt when coming to a stop is the dreaded " Lurch " There is loads of info on the Lurch on the internet, some boxes do it, most don't.
Pre 2004 ( Prefacelift cars have the 5 speed gearbox, GM or ZF
The GM boxes are more prone to problems, loads of prefaceloft cars you see for sale say ( New/ recon gearbox )
Some have cured the lurch with a gearbox service, some cars only do it when hot.
Ive read it's the valve block solenoids. Some owners have had the lurch for years, and keep running
Trouble is a recon box is around £ 1500 /2000.
Which is close to the price of the car.
The judder on acceleration could be gearbox related as well, or virtually 20 other things unfortunately
Oh and welcome to the forum

Loperamide

Post by Loperamide » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:43 pm

Thanks for the replies. Could you recommend transmission oil/filter? Also a code scanner? Thanks.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:43 pm

Don’t remember the oil code but I get mine from BMW would also recommend your local ZF dealer as you will have the ZF gearbox. It’s not cheap 6ltrs and filter wil be around £120/130. That’s why people suggest getting the g/b scanned for faults first. If you then have to change something inside you’ve just wasted £120 you can buy the kits on the bay from reputable dealers.
Lots of scanners, some will allow you to recode various modules. The CARLY app is popular Foxwell 510 and 644 INPA, Someone more clued up on scanners will be along I’m sure. Problem with your first scanner buy is that once you get into it and you read more you end up disappointed with what you have. You know "wish I could do that " lots of reading then make a decision

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:04 am

Loperamide wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:43 pm Thanks for the replies. Could you recommend transmission oil/filter? Also a code scanner? Thanks.
If you type the last 7 digits of your VIN into real OEM ( BMW OEM is a parts catalogue on the internet that lists every part on your BMW from its build sheet, access it from Google )
Look under gearbox and that will list the BMW part numbers for the service kit and oil for the gearbox.
Then type them numbers into Google and that will bring up / cross reference with after market sellers / kits
BE AWARE that servicing a high miler gearbox COMES WITH A RISK OF THE NEW OIL WHICH CONTAINS A DETERGENT, loosening up embedded gunge in the valve block and making things worse.
I had the gearboxes on my E53 serviced at 93k and my E83 X3 serviced at 95k with no ill affects, and the oil that came out was un burnt.
However yours may have more miles on than mine did, or had a hard life / abuse in its earlier life.
Changing the oil and filter may not cure your Lurching, and may worsen things.
Do so at your own risk.
As BMW state that the gearboxes are sealed for life, they weren't meaning 15 years 😬
What mileage has the car got on at the moment ?

Loperamide

Post by Loperamide » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:11 am

115k miles. I bought it at 107k miles.