Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Locked out!!

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
staffordcox

Locked out!!

Post by staffordcox » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:11 pm

Hi guys, I think I've got myself a real problem.

The battery is playing up on my 2001 E53 X5 so I've been waiting for a spare hour to go and get it replaced. The time has now arrived so I've gone to get in, thinking I'm going to need to jump it but it's completely dead. It won't even open the central locking.

So here's the biggest problem. My drivers side door handle is broken too so I now can't get into it at all as there's no key on the passenger side!! Does anyone have any clever tricks up their sleeve before I call a locksmith or smash a window?

Grrrrrrrrrrr

Staff :(

IanP

Re: Locked out!!

Post by IanP » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:56 pm

If you search on the forum there is a technique to open the lock using a wire down the side of the window.
Or if your starter is accessible you can attach a battery charger leads to it and the earth and operate the remote opening .

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:47 pm

Have done Ian’s suggestion with the starter motor in the past so I know that works. Make sure if you do to use an axle stant while your in there. It will be cold and wet because things like this never happen in sunshine

staffordcox

Post by staffordcox » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:58 pm

IanP wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:56 pm If you search on the forum there is a technique to open the lock using a wire down the side of the window.
Or if your starter is accessible you can attach a battery charger leads to it and the earth and operate the remote opening .
Hi Ian, thanks for your reply. That sounds like exactly what I need. Currently I'm trying to open the bonnet through the kidney grill and plug a 9v battery into the rear hatch switch. Neither of which I'm having much luck with. I've had a search through for the 'wire down the side of the window' post and had no luck with that either. Would you be able to link it at all, or tell me what to search for as I'm getting thousands of results.
henrym3 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:47 pm Have done Ian’s suggestion with the starter motor in the past so I know that works. Make sure if you do to use an axle stant while your in there. It will be cold and wet because things like this never happen in sunshine
Hi Henry, you could not be more correct in what you say. I've been freezing my chads off for the last 2 hours and its taking my second brew to thaw them out :lol:

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:36 pm

I think this post is going to inspire me to reposition my CTEK permenantly connected lead to an accessible position with the bonnet closed.

IanP

Post by IanP » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:49 pm

https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5- ... -pics.html

This is the method I used but with the window closed. Normally used when the handle is broken.

I also managed to get the bonnet open with everything locked by reaching up from under the car with several 3/8 socket extensions and a flat blade screwdriver fitting on the end. This goes into the bonnet catch and you can then operate it using a ratchet.

But it Is a lot easier if you can get power onto the starter.

staffordcox

Post by staffordcox » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:26 pm

IanP wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:49 pm https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5- ... -pics.html

This is the method I used but with the window closed. Normally used when the handle is broken.

I also managed to get the bonnet open with everything locked by reaching up from under the car with several 3/8 socket extensions and a flat blade screwdriver fitting on the end. This goes into the bonnet catch and you can then operate it using a ratchet.

But it Is a lot easier if you can get power onto the starter.
Thanks for digging that out for me Ian, it is a great post. When you did this with the window closed, were you inside the car or outside? I couldn't seem to get a coat hanger in the door from outside when I tried earlier but maybe I wasn't trying hard enough. I'll give it another go tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks again
Staff

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:51 am

The coat hanger will go down from outside i did it myself when the lock was playing up.
Important part is to get the length correct first time i had a go without marking the hanger and had no luck.
Went back to my pc and looked again so i put a bit of tape on the hanger and hey presto i was in lol.

hennabm

Post by hennabm » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:53 am

Hi
I had exactly the same scenario; dead battery and broken door handle.

I tried going through the bonnet by removing the grille but could only spring one side. I couldn't get a jack under it where it was parked so can't vouch for the starter technique.

In the end I used one of the air bags used by the AA and then two coat hangers to spring the catch on the driver's door.

Make sure the key is not in deadlock position on the door or you will never spring it.

Good luck.

staffordcox

Post by staffordcox » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:15 pm

Thanks for all your help guys. I struggled for probably more than an hour trying to get the coat hanger down the door panel to unlock it to no avail. I resorted to brute for and ignorance and pulled the top of the door out enough to get a coat hanger with a hoop to the inside door handle and opened it that way.

Next job, door carrier.

Thanks again everyone, it's been emotional :)

Staff

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:24 pm

staffordcox wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:15 pm Thanks for all your help guys. I struggled for probably more than an hour trying to get the coat hanger down the door panel to unlock it to no avail. I resorted to brute for and ignorance and pulled the top of the door out enough to get a coat hanger with a hoop to the inside door handle and opened it that way.

Next job, door carrier.

Thanks again everyone, it's been emotional :)

Staff
The carrier will be a lot easier than getting in lol.
It's not a hard job just make sure you pop the cable ends on the lock properly i didn't and the door only opened twice before i had to strip it again.

hennabm

Post by hennabm » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:42 am

If unsure how to do the carrier there is a video and slid show on you tube that gives all the detail.