Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E53 air con compressor not switching ON

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
kanewesley

Re: E53 air con compressor not switching ON

Post by kanewesley » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:42 pm

Progress on this fault from many moons ago.

I took the car to another BMW repairer and its now fixed....well almost !!!!

THe system was losing gas from a pinhole in a metal aircon pipe which had rubbed thro on the engine.

Replaced this, regassed and now sat with overcoats on...aircon is freezing cold.

I said almost.

The pusher fan, (the one infront of the engine fan) never kicks in. It dont spin up as a test when the aircon is switched on and never comes in during the time the aircon is in use.

I have to remember to switch the aircon off each time the car stops moving forward so it dont overheat and blow the compressor like it did intially.

Otherwise the aircon is working ok.

I thought if this fan didnt spin up as a self test when the aircon is first switched on...it would inhibit the aircon syatem working.

I have INPA but nowhere is there to turn this fan on.

Questions then....
Why is the aircon being allowed to run when this fan dont work and dont work on the self test?

There is 12v at the main power leads to the fan so no fuses (50 amp) can be blown.

It must be in the control side of things...ie...the square wave pulse signal for speed control,

Can it be monitored anywhere in INPA?

The car is a 200d 3.0D sport facelift model E53 M57 engine