Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brakes beyond a joke now

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Zedhed

Brakes beyond a joke now

Post by Zedhed » Sat May 19, 2018 7:03 pm

Really getting annoyed now with this car.3 weeks now trying to bleed brakes and got nowhere >:(.replaced master cylinder and servo,2 new rear lines.pressure bled endless times along with circulating dsc pump.bled master today while in the car as i dident do it before.thing is i have an electronic brake force distribution code and steering angle sensor permanant code,so dont know if these will stop the bleeding process as its all linked to dsc system.desperate now folks as this car needs to be back on the road fast.

R515

Re: Brakes beyond a joke now

Post by R515 » Sat May 19, 2018 8:17 pm

If the electronic brake force distribution error is showing in DIS, its nothing to worry about. I've has my E53 for 3 years and not been able to clear this code but it doesn't affect the way the car stops.

What problems are you experiencing, when I replaced the rear brake pipes last year, everything bled ok

sid10

Post by sid10 » Sat May 19, 2018 8:27 pm

I had a fault on my car a few years ago which basically ment I had virtually no brakes comming back from Newcastle, took into the stealers who fixed the leak and reset everything , they mentioned it was a two part braking system which allows the front brakes to work if all the fluid leaks out of the rears and vice a versa . Maybe worth calling in a dealers to reset & bleed the system .

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat May 19, 2018 8:29 pm

We have just had a DSC issue on the E46 which turned out to the a pressure sensor on the master cylinder (there are two, separate to the main brake pressure).  Replaced (£127) and fault cleared.  It pulled up an intermittent yellow warning on the DSC and yellow handbrake light.

The main braking should be in two circuits as above.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Zedhed

Post by Zedhed » Sat May 19, 2018 9:16 pm

Just have no pedal,its nearly to the floor.one thing i have noticed though when you press the pedal down,it will sink slowly and come to a stop,but as you carry on applying pressure you can feel something give and then sinks a bit more.hope i aint wrecked the new master. >:(

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Sat May 19, 2018 9:30 pm

You describe the exact symptoms I normally had on the VW R32 if bleeding the brakes and was always fixed when I remembered the 2 bleed nipples on the master cylinder and not to push the brake pedal to the floor when bleeding (normally put a piece of wood under pedal to prevent max travel) I believe none of the X5's have  bleed  nipples on the master cylinder but to me your symptoms point to the m/c even  though you say it's new. 
E53 X5 4.6is, Carbon Black, LPG, Paddle Shift, Dynavin N6, Lowered, 22"Wheels, Side Bars. Perfusion Exhaust
E30 M3 Black, S50B32 Engine, 6 Speed Box, Ireland Engineering ARBs & Big Brake Conversion, Lowered, 18"LMs, CF CAI, CF Splitter & Barge Board, ZM3 Quad Exhaust.
VW R32 Gone

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sun May 20, 2018 8:38 am

Did you try just opening the bleed on each wheel and just letting it flow/drip.

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Sun May 20, 2018 9:08 pm

Possible air lock in the abs pump ?

Silverfox58

Post by Silverfox58 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:39 pm

Hi I'm just about to bleed my brakes , so my question is did you sort out your brake problem and if so what was it,

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:40 pm

I’d be inclined to call, check price with main dealer for brake fluid service - it’s worth the expense and relatively cheap
Whilst not a difficult job, to properly bleed the system, the valves in ABS pump have to be lifted via computer!
Again not difficult if you have the software....

Silverfox58

Post by Silverfox58 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:05 am

Ok thanks

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:02 pm

If you are bleeding the brakes to change the brake fluid then it is a simple straightforward job. If your doing it because you have broken into the system to do a repair and you have allowed all the fluid to leak out then it is more complicated.