Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dashboard errors etc

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
PeteX5

Dashboard errors etc

Post by PeteX5 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:23 pm

Hello Forum.  This has probably been asked before so I am hoping to find an answer please. I have an auto X5 E53, 2006. Slowly pulling into a car park after the motorway the airbag light lit dimly then slowly faded away, followed swiftly by 'Trans.Failsafe Prog'. I stopped the car, ignition off, tried re-starting, dash lights all ok but turning key the starter would not turn, no fading of lights etc on dash but several attempts proved futile. Eventually after moving gear selector and handbrake a few times and pressing brake a few times the engine started as normal ! This non-starting has happened a few times now over 3 days but only when parked after a run, starts fine from cold. The 'Trans.Failsafe.Prog' has not reappeared but the airbag light stays on now. Also yesterday the cruise would not engage, symbol appears on dash but thats all. Did a restart and cruise works again... most odd. Todays issue is airbag light still on and now 'Seatbelt Warning' with my seatbelt on and just myself in the car. Any ideas before I call an exorcist ? :-)

marti

Re: Dashboard errors etc

Post by marti » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:55 pm

Low voltage in battery...

briankerrys47

Post by briankerrys47 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:04 pm

yep first call is battery and if you only do short journeys not good??

PeteX5

Post by PeteX5 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:40 pm

Thanks Guys. Checked alternator voltage at 14.30V when idling so thats ok, however will monitor system voltage at next start up when fault occurs. Whilst I am here... airbag light went out today, all by iteslf ! Would not surprise me if the bulb has gone, that would just be typical at the moment :-) Also 'Seatbelt Warning' gone back to normal. However engine not starting after a run is still there. Could be dodgy ignition switch maybe ?? Will fit new battery first as its at least 3 years old and many short journeys.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:44 pm

Before buying a battery check the battery connections are secure also the earth strap (engine to chassis) and the under bonnet jump start points
E53 X5 4.6is, Carbon Black, LPG, Paddle Shift, Dynavin N6, Lowered, 22"Wheels, Side Bars. Perfusion Exhaust
E30 M3 Black, S50B32 Engine, 6 Speed Box, Ireland Engineering ARBs & Big Brake Conversion, Lowered, 18"LMs, CF CAI, CF Splitter & Barge Board, ZM3 Quad Exhaust.
VW R32 Gone

X5-D-Sport
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by X5-D-Sport » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:16 pm

Battery

PeteX5

Post by PeteX5 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:22 pm

Hi Guys. Replaced battery, checked every connection I can find.  Checked all fuses none blown. Strange as yesterday all was completely well again for one short journey, no errors and started second turn of key. Today....Ran this morning ok but error messages again. Second trip... Ignition on, no cranking at all ! Now stuck with car not starting. With battery disconnected I pulled the plugs on the DDE (DDE7800131), refit plugs in case it was simply a bad connection and still no joy. I do have the yellow triangle with 4x4 displayed, should say 0x0 for now ! Also have airbag light and check engine light, its like a Xmas tree on my dashboard. Any ideas what to check, does the beast have a starter relay, could tweak the starter circuit to see if it will run ? Thanks. Pete

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:11 pm

If you replaced the battery and all was well for one journey then rapid deterioration to a flat/discharged battery have you checked the starter motor??
They are a known source of problems when they start to fail drawing incredible amperage's and killing batteries
4.6is X5 Estoril Blue (current)
4.4 X5 Sport Topaz Blue LPG (now gone squashed by a tree)
Subaru Outback 3.0 Rn Star Silver (current)
AMG 6.3 CLS Obsidian Black (sold)

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:36 pm

You say, no cranking but is the new battery flat or is there some other issue causing a no crank
E53 X5 4.6is, Carbon Black, LPG, Paddle Shift, Dynavin N6, Lowered, 22"Wheels, Side Bars. Perfusion Exhaust
E30 M3 Black, S50B32 Engine, 6 Speed Box, Ireland Engineering ARBs & Big Brake Conversion, Lowered, 18"LMs, CF CAI, CF Splitter & Barge Board, ZM3 Quad Exhaust.
VW R32 Gone

PeteX5

Post by PeteX5 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:54 pm

Hi Guys. Thanks for your support and I will NOT give up on this dilemma. Latest update revolves around the dreaded EWS I suspect. I tried fooling the car by turning ignition on and then bridging starter solenoid to +12v, car fired up ok and drove ok ! If I then turn ignition off for a second or two it will restart on the key ok. BUT... if I wait for 5 secs the EWS internal relay opens (can hear the click) and I am back to square one with no cranking. Still got errors on dash and will be attaching a Star diagnostics box via OBD port on Tuesday to see what we can find. I am also fully charging NEW battery again. Will check what current is being drawn with car locked and all switched off... beginning to think there is something taking more than it should possibly. Last but not least.... sent afew messages to ECU programming companies to see if they can do an EWS delete on my ECU, which sadly is the DDE type where as most offer same but for the DME version. Using my wifes car in the meantime, Hyundai i10, much much faster than an X5 at the moment  :)) Look forward to any replies. All the best. Pete

PeteX5

Post by PeteX5 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:24 pm

Hi Guys. New update... Ordered connecting lead for OBD and INPA software so will have a 'look see' when that arrives. This is in an attempt to sync the DDE and EWS, fingers, toes and dangly bits crossed for that one. Second idea.... ordered complete set of DDE (same part number exactly), EWS, key, locks and transponder ring for ignition. Total cost so far including new battery will be £400. Not doing anything to car now until stuff arrives as I am getting frustrated and if I slam the door any harder I may break a window  :rant: P.S. Drove the i10 for an hour or so yesterday, its most obvious that other drivers immediately assume you are an old and cant drive ! Cant wait to get my 218 HP back and do the same to those  :razz1: Cheers. Pete

Mushroom9876

Post by Mushroom9876 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:27 pm

Have same problem did you ever get to the bottom of it.
Thank alex