Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

passenger footwell wet

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Loperamide

passenger footwell wet

Post by Loperamide » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:26 pm

There is a water leak via the glove box when it rains. I had a packet of tissues inside the glovebox and they were wet, so where could the water be coming into the car from?

I have tested the sunroof drains and they are not blocked. The door seals are dry apart bottom left corner of the footwell (see pic you can see the seal on the left hand side), and its not coming from the vapor barrier as the top of the floormat is wet where the water has been dripping from the glove box.

Please help! :(

2012 X5 xDrive 30d

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: passenger footwell wet

Post by X5Sport » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:03 pm

I think that there is an electronics box back right as you look into the engine bay from the front which is directly above the glovebox.  Could be a damaged grommet/seal under it.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

ttr

Post by ttr » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:47 pm

Eh up,

Have you tested the actual windscreen at all. I am sure I recall reading on here there can be a chance the bonds fail.

Also try the pollen filter drains at the front scuttle to see if it’s tracking from there somehow via the vent system, these drains sometimes get blocked with crud and leaves, soaks in via the pollen micrfilter

Hope you find it I had a leak in the same areas took me a while to track it to the door seal, clearly not where yours is.
good luck
BMW X5 E53 3.0D Auto Sport 2006

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:23 pm

How did you check the sun roof drains, if you just poured water in the s/r channels and seen it come out underneath the vehicle that’s not a good enough check. If the plastic pipe comes of the the s/r metal pipe it rests on the end of it, when you pour the water everything can seem fine. Start driving and the movement/vibration/bumps means the water is going down the A pillar to the floor. Just a thought if you don’t find something else
E53 X5 4.6is, Carbon Black, LPG, Paddle Shift, Dynavin N6, Lowered, 22"Wheels, Side Bars. Perfusion Exhaust
E30 M3 Black, S50B32 Engine, 6 Speed Box, Ireland Engineering ARBs & Big Brake Conversion, Lowered, 18"LMs, CF CAI, CF Splitter & Barge Board, ZM3 Quad Exhaust.
VW R32 Gone