Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Camshaft Drag Lever Identification

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Rick G

Camshaft Drag Lever Identification

Post by Rick G » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:53 am

As per the topic how do I identify between the 3 types of drag lever (only a hunn could come up with a name like that)  there is the type 1, 2a and 3 what is the difference and how do I ID them. All 16 Exhaust rollers are failing with the case hardening coming off. :'(
2004 X5 4.4l
If every thing seems to be under control then you aint goin fast enough.  Mario Andretti

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Camshaft Drag Lever Identification

Post by X5Sport » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:20 pm

Have you checked Realoem (BMW Parts database) using the last 7 of your VIN to see if that gives you a clue with data ranges against part numbers?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Rick G

Post by Rick G » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:37 pm

I have actually found a number on them . There is a 1 stamped into the forging next to the retainer spring, the spring almost covers it but is probably very obvious when new so I am fairly sure that is what is the number Real OEM refers to.
Do you have any info on setting them up and how to figure what number roller is needed. I have got onto a guy in Germany with a fairly good supply of good used selection. I need to combine a few sets to get a good unit for the right bank.
It looks as if some idiot has been in there before me and has caused some problems with the oil feed to the lobes of the inlets (it is the inlet not exhaust as I said earlier).
I also did a drawing of the system and how it works and oh wow those inlet rollers are under enormous strain when the valves open fully, far more than the exhaust it's no wonder they fail. I reckon Heath Robinson couldn't come up with a worse design from what I can ascertain.
2004 X5 4.4l
If every thing seems to be under control then you aint goin fast enough.  Mario Andretti

kkx5

Post by kkx5 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:54 pm

Numbers don't matter, just buy all 16 same class.

Rick G

Post by Rick G » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:02 pm

OK Thanks that makes it easy
2004 X5 4.4l