Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Stereo :(

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Worthing

Stereo :(

Post by Worthing » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:36 pm

Hi,

Purchased an X5 few months back and the screen that shows the sat nat is a little burnt out and only having sound from a single speaker.

Took it to a local audio shop today and they said they do not repair and the only way to fix it is a new amp and they want £800 plus the cost of a new head unit circa £600!!!

Does this sound right?

After googling online i see this could be a common fault and it is possible to repair the AMP and i found a company BM54 that can do this for about a £100 plus another £100 if i wanted bluetooth.

This sounds a preferable option.

or Can i not pop into halfords get a new headunit and forget about the amp?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Stereo :(

Post by X5Sport » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:02 pm

Have a look on line for Cartronics.  Baris (part of the shop) is well known and trusted by members.  He should be able to sort you out  :)

Others on here have updated their kiti (the MkIV units are a bit dated now).  There have been a couple of updates using Alpine and Pioneer in the last couple of weeks.
Last edited by X5Sport on Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

icsyzet

Post by icsyzet » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:44 am

I had the same issue with mine, when i bought it, i had sound in only one speaker, front right.
What i done is , dismantled the amplifier as initially i thought is some IC damaged, but as everything looked ok i brushed the boards (there are 2 boards, one is the low signal processing and the other is the power amplifier) with isopropilic alcohol ,put everything back and SURPRISE, all speakers were working. I guess some loose connection was the problem.

Worthing

Post by Worthing » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:18 pm

I might try taking the amp out and giving it a go then.

I went to Halfords, as useful as a chocolate teapot!

Did find a good independent who suggested a kenwood smart stereo, looked really goo but cost of fitting with all the bits need ended up coming to £915.00!!!!

I said i will think about it ...