Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Gearbox oil

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
marinaman

Gearbox oil

Post by marinaman » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:55 pm

Afternoon all

Was looking though the forum for info on changing the autobox oil and filter,

Found enough on how to do the job but couple of questions,

Most of the kits with filter and oil on Ebay show 5L of oil
The job seems to need 3L as thats what will drain out.
On some it seems thats enough to keep the box happy so its not a total change.
Others seem to say to do the job again and use the remaining 2L , so i presume that would drain out some of the new fluid you put in after it has then mixed with the old oil.

So is it better to stick at one change with 3L or do the whole 5L in 2 jobs.

There seems to be different sellers with different brands of oil, are any better than others and is the filter better off coming from BMW or i see some online are Meyer.

Just clarification needed,
Thanks

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Gearbox oil

Post by X5Sport » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:15 pm

Automatic transmission 6 speed is 10.5L, 5-speed is 9L. You need more fluid and it MUST be the right type.

6 speed is given as Shell M-1375.4 BMW Pt No: 83 22 0 142 516 or equivalent. Check the label on the box itself to make sure the number is correct.

5 speed depends upon the label on the box, but is usually Dexron VI

There is a specific change procedure, involving temperature and shift sequence.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:42 pm

I have the 5hp24 box and if memory serves I put in just over 5ltrs. Bought the oil and filter of BMW and it’s marked up as ATF 2. Got another 4K to do before the next change and will buy of BMW again. I remember it being expensive, somewhere just over £100 but we’re talking (for me) a 5 year gap.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:35 pm

I’m guessing that ATF2 is a generic name and Dexron VI is manufacture specific? Seem to be interchangeable. Capacity difference down to the TC not draining perhaps?

TIS states capacity but not whether that’s an empty fill, or a replace fill. If you only got just over 5L in that implies not all comes out?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:15 pm

I was just doing a drain, filter change and refill, as far as I was aware that (roughly 5ltrs) is about right. TC requires a flush machine if you want to do the whole lot.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:20 pm

Ment to say as well that it is confusing, BMW does ATF 2 Web will say V1and ZF says V. I went with BMW so as to ensure it’s the same as was filled at factory

marinaman

Post by marinaman » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:05 pm

Thanks for replies

Nearly all the sellers online are selling a kit with 7 X1L of oil and a filter for around £100 to £130

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-BMW-X5-E ... 1006.m3226

So what though is the correct method, is it drop out whatever drains out, then refill. then run car again to mix, then drain out again and again until ive used the 7L

Or as in some info i read online, just do one drain which they said is around 3L will come out, change the filter, then top up with 3L and leave it at that ?

Seems to be a lot of opinions out there about it better to leave well alone and do nothing or do a partial change or do a full change as best you can with repeated draining and refilling.

Getting a bit confused :-?

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:59 pm

If you ask a question about g/b oil changes you will get so many different opinions. You just got to do some reading and make your own decision. For example the suggestion that you drain the oil, fill up with fresh run the car a bit drain refill, do this till you use up the 7 ltrs. So your going to put 7 ltrs of fresh oil in there and run it through a filter that’s been in there for probably 100,000 miles. To me that’s madness BUT somebody out there thinks that’s a good idea. So read up and make your own decision. When your g/b goes pop. there’s no one to blame but you. If it’s still going strong in another 100k you can pat yourself on the back for that brilliant decision you made

marinaman

Post by marinaman » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:07 pm

AH well thats why i ask on here as this is the place for the right info from folk who have done the job,

Dont think i would change oil without a filter though, that does seem daft.

wpoll

Post by wpoll » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:34 pm

Basic process - final transmission fill (to get correct level) must be done with engine running and fluid to correct temp (40-50DegC?). Fill trans until correct level with engine off, then start engine, run through gears, then continue fill until correct level (with engine running). And you need a way to measure trans oil temp (INPA or DIS are best).

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:10 am

If you run the engine a few minutes the gearbox oil will soon be up to temp as torque converter is spinning continuously .The ones I watched on YouTube but for a 6 speed it was 3 litre for pan and a 4th if the mechatronics unit was dropped if I remember correctly.

Pat Mustard

Post by Pat Mustard » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:54 pm

Re- above post ! Just out of curiosity where did you see that temp for refilling the gearbox with engine running ? I'm curious because a bmw mechanic told me some time ago that when they replace gearboxes in-house the temp has to be between 30-35 deg C. Anything higher and you have to start all over again.

Pat Mustard

Post by Pat Mustard » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:16 pm

Just had a look on the ZF site and the mechanic was correct after all. All info here.

https://www.zf.com/unitedkingdom/en_gb/ ... e_oil.html

wpoll

Post by wpoll » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:01 am

Pat Mustard wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:54 pm Re- above post ! Just out of curiosity where did you see that temp for refilling the gearbox with engine running ? I'm curious because a bmw mechanic told me some time ago that when they replace gearboxes in-house the temp has to be between 30-35 deg C. Anything higher and you have to start all over again.
When the engine is running the transmission fluid pump is pumping fluid around the gearbox. This effectively lowers the fluid level in the pan. This is the state that the oil level must be checked in. If you set (check) the fluid level with the engine off, then the actual level when running will be too low. And the temp matters, as this affects the level also. :thumbsup:

Edward R-W

Post by Edward R-W » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:53 pm

Being a novice with my 2004 E53 X5 3.0d auto 6 speed box, how do I find out what filter kit I will need to purchase? I have been looking online at various kits and the filters look different as apparently there are different gearboxes? Is there a simple way I can find out what model of gearbox I have?