Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Thermostat Replacement

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Bennn

Thermostat Replacement

Post by Bennn » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:22 pm

Pretty sure the thermostat isn't working properly on my X5 as it only gets near the halfway point on the temp guage when its been idling for a while and then goes back down again.

Few questions:

Do I need to (or is it advisable to change the EGR thermostat too?

Do people generally replace the housing too or just the thermostat itself? (Just did the thermostat itself on my E46 M3 although that did have a metal housing)

Can anyone recommend a brand? Don't want to pay BMW's usual mark up on someone else's part.

Car is a 2005 3.0d BTW.

Cheers

Ben

marti

Re: Thermostat Replacement

Post by marti » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:15 pm

BEHR is a great make and the e53 thermo only comes as a complete unit...stat and housing combined, up to you if you want to change the EGR stat....you may aswell then you know theyre both done...dont buy cheapo or you'll be changing them again...

Bennn

Post by Bennn » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:01 pm

Cool. I've seen both behr ones on ebay as a pair but come from Germany so I might not get until new year and ideally I want to do it over the Xmas break. Will have another look. Cheers

wpoll

Post by wpoll » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:26 pm

Easy job - drop the coolant, remove EGR pipework and MAF-to-turbo pipework and you can access the thermostat housing without even removing the fan. You'll need an e-torx socket set... :thumbsup:

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:45 am

Have you got the EGR stat my 2002 car hasn't got that one just the main stat.
Easy job anyway.