Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

I discovered ....

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
A Blair

I discovered ....

Post by A Blair » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:37 pm

On Sunday I took the X5 to Aviemore over the Lecht. I was a bit concerned on how the brakes would hold up. No problem.

Going up was fun as the car held a low gear all the way up. I was quietly surprised how the back end sticks to the road. Very confident inspiring pressing on. I never realised how good the car was.
Going down I never knew this was going to happen.
As you brake down a long hill at a steady speed, at say 40 or 50 mph the car drops a gear or two dependent on how heavy you brake. This helps with the downhill descent.
Smart car.
I have no idea about other automatics as this is my first one. However I am impressed.

dazzasgotav8

Re: I discovered ....

Post by dazzasgotav8 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:56 pm

i must say i feel very confident with the road holding of mine i have had a few moments of oops this could be a bit iffy on some bends but no dramas , with regards to the down hill braking i am convinced mine does some sort of engine braking of sorts as like you say whilst using the brakes you seem to get some extra retarding .

IanP

Post by IanP » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:29 pm

That was one of the things I didn't like about mine, it dropped a gear ok, but then when you touched the throttle it would change up, thn back down when you touched the brakes again giving a jerky ride.
The X6 is better with a 6 speed box but not perfect, I wonder if the 8 speed boxes are any better.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:01 am

They are better. Probably having more ratios and fewer parts involved in each change makes it a tad smoother too. Mine gets regularly tested in the mountains of Wales.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.