Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

How to connect iphone4 to bluetooth?

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
idrive

Post by idrive » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:04 pm

Just upgraded to the iphone4 and now cannot connect it via bluetooth to the car as I had before with the iphone3G.
Anyone know how I can make this happen?

Model: 2006 3.0D with Sport+pack, Comms pack, Premium pack, Climate pack and Nappa comfort seats.

Pewters

Post by Pewters » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:20 pm

I did mine ok last week...turn on the ignition whilst holding to talking head button in the centre console and hold for about 6 seconds....make sure the Bluetooth is on and you should get the phone activation message on the car when the button is released.....type in the passkey into your phone and all should work. A little vague sorry but hope you get the idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idrive

Re: How to connect iphone4 to bluetooth?

Post by idrive » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:24 pm

Excellent, all done... thanks.

Pewters

Post by Pewters » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:51 pm

Happy to help ;)

Nice car btw fella :thumbsup:

jeegnesh

Post by jeegnesh » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:24 am

[quote=""Pewters""]Happy to help ;)

Nice car btw fella :thumbsup:[/quote]
Looks nicer then Sanj's :stir:
Mods: H Steering, Towbar, Wide Arches, Inforad K2, HIDS, Heated Seats, PS2 Media Center, x555 Sub Box (Focal), Rear Fake Tins, RV Cam, Screen Protect, Front Tints, 168 20's, Re-Map, Black Roundels, De-badge, BSW Dash Mids, Tweeter & Xover, Rear Screens, Intravee

finnie

Post by finnie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:33 am

I am trying to connect my iphone 3Gs to the car (2004 with comms pack i think) but i dont see this button, I only see the one on the steering wheel.

Hold on i found the button but it's still not working, could it be a fuse??

jeegnesh

Post by jeegnesh » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:54 am

what are you doing exactly?
Mods: H Steering, Towbar, Wide Arches, Inforad K2, HIDS, Heated Seats, PS2 Media Center, x555 Sub Box (Focal), Rear Fake Tins, RV Cam, Screen Protect, Front Tints, 168 20's, Re-Map, Black Roundels, De-badge, BSW Dash Mids, Tweeter & Xover, Rear Screens, Intravee

finnie

Post by finnie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:07 am

As per the instructions i am holding the botton down while turning the ignition on. I then continue to hold for about 5 seconds but nothing is happening??

jeegnesh

Post by jeegnesh » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:20 am

press button first
keep holding button turn ignition to position 1 or 2
2-3 seconds let go of the button
should say Bluetooth Pairing now

finnie

Post by finnie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:56 am

Nope tried that, silence, then the radio kicks in, screen changes to radio stations and thats all. Nothing.

Car has a sony ericson adapter in the armrest, but i am trying an iphone, should I replace the original cover?

jeegnesh

Post by jeegnesh » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:12 pm

adapter makes no difference, the above should work. Sometimes can be a timing thing, try same sequence but holding the button slightly longer.

squeaky2

Post by squeaky2 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:25 pm

i had this problem with mine and had to take the centre armrest apart as the cable that connects into the button had come out.

Think it can get a little trapped in the sliding bit and get pulled out

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:26 pm

Be careful with turning the ignition on - it must be only to position 1, not to position 2 and back again - its quite sensitive to this, start again if you go to position 2 by mistake. It may also help if you completely clear the memory of all other connected phones from the car - to do this you have to get into "pairing mode" by going to igntion pos 1 and pressing the talking head button for 10 secs, then keep it pressed for another 10 secs till you get a triple beep - then the memory is completely earsed from all prev phones and it may be easier to pair.
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

finnie

Post by finnie » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:07 pm

You mean keep it pressed for 20 seconds or 10 seconds, then let go then press again for another 10? I'll go and try

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:04 pm

First, get into pairing mode: ie ignition to position 1, then press talking head for approx 10 secs - once in pairing mode (you'll see the screen message change from ACTIVATE PHONE to PAIRING MODE) : when it does that, keep the head button pressed for another 10 secs or so, and the system will give a triple bleep which indicates that the Bluetooth memory has been completely cleared.
Then try pairing your phone again. It helps sometimes to clear your phone handset of all SMS. Remember that Bluetooth in 2002-ish was in its infancy, and the units can be a bit quirky and not entirely compatible with brand new handsets etc. I found it the easiest and most reliable to get a handset that was well-known to work really well with the X and transfer address book etc as well as SMS, and just leave that permanently in the car. Bought a Sony Ericsson k800i brand new old stock off ebay for £50, got a snap in adapter from Cotswold BMW by mail order and hey presto, pretty fault free. I've had one electroonic blip where the phone and the car were in "half-comms" mode, kind of attached but not really - and had to delete all bluetooth memory and re-pair. Its all a bit like working on an older PC :D just a lot more expensive!!!

The Bluetooth frustration can be a right pain, especially when cheap Parrot kits work so simply and well rather than all the fiddling about with the older X5s bluetooth modules. The other total faff is the parking sensors......you can buy a set of parking sensors for under £30 and have then installed for £50 on any other car than a BMW, and they work brilliantly for years - well they have on our SLK and ancient Range Rover - 6 years plus and still fine!! But a bit of moisture or dirt or, well, just nothing! and an X5s sensors play up......my prev X had "seasonal" sensor disorder (faulty in winter, perfect in summer!) now the 4.8 rear sensors have started messing about intermittantly, luckily its an AUC so will get it sorted along with other little things that need doing, without extra expense.
Most times, the Bluetooth issue is just a question of getting the timing of the presses correct, if you're unlucky the Bluetooth unit may be faulty or a wire trapped somewhere under the armrest. Keep trying!!! :D
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.