Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW X5 E53 RADIO PIXELS DAMAGED

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
38gxm7

BMW X5 E53 RADIO PIXELS DAMAGED

Post by 38gxm7 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:02 pm

Good Evening,

I am new to this forum and have recently purchased a 2005 X5 3.0d. Loving the ownership so far however my radio screen is puzzled and it is impossible to make out any of the letters etc.

I am just curious as to how much this part would cost to replace as I have read this is a common fault on these models.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks.

dazzasgotav8

Re: BMW X5 E53 RADIO PIXELS DAMAGED

Post by dazzasgotav8 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:13 pm

Hello and welcome still a newbie myself , but with reference to you radio issue if you have the larger display there is currently a couple for sale on a certain auction site for around £75 each .

38gxm7

Post by 38gxm7 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:20 pm

Thank you for the swift reply...unfortunately it is the smaller one, I have just had a look and been able to remove it relatively easily and would therefore like the same as I will be able to replace within minutes... will be calling my local scrapyard in the morning to see if they have any available but I am doubtful.
If anybody knows anybody who sells these it would much appreciated?

Many Thanks once again.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:26 pm

wpoll

Post by wpoll » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:17 pm

And BTW, it's not a radio - it's just a display unit - a Multi-Information Display (MID) - the radio itself is either in the back of the CD Player or in the boot/trunk (model dependent). :D

The fault is delamination of the LCD display connection ribbon. There are several types of LCD ribbon repairs - some require heat, some do not. You can also buy a new LCD with the new ribbon attached, making the repair easier.

There's a lot of MID LCD ribbon repair videos on YouTube - I'd recommend watching a few before tackling this job. Like this series...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKYk0zWSse4