Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Journey

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Journey

Post by henrym3 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:57 pm

As there isn’t much activity atm I thought I’d mention the 760miles I did over 2 days last week. 4 people and luggage, whole journey done on LPG apart from morning start ups. Interestingly lpg was 11p a ltr cheaper in Taunton than up here in the North? Doesn’t seem much but is £7 per fill up. OBC told me an average of 17.2 mpg. The real trouth is 14 mpg on LPG which overall worked out at 62p per ltr Measured brim to brim. Mind you that was NOT hanging about.
People talk about gearboxes learning your stile of driving and I would have to say I am now a convert. Round home I can easily be in 5 by 50 mph but by the time I had done 100 miles on a very quick journey it wouldn’t go to 5 until 80+. However, took about 20 miles to get back to normal at home. To be honest I was very impressed with how it adapted to the different stiles. Having recently fixed a ton of minor oil leaks I kept a close eye on usage and was unable to see a movement on the dipstick so well pleased. New alternator proved itself. However in traffic jams I did think I felt the slightest bit of slack in the drivetrain. Have put on my list of things is check the front propshaft splines for wear. Then look at the possibility of a worn chain in transfer case. Any other ideas welcome. The new TPMS sensors on 2 occasions caused the OBC to display a message that they were inactive but pressing the stalk button seemed to reset even at speed. Overall I was very pleased how the X preformed

Themoog2

Re: Journey

Post by Themoog2 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:38 pm

Our Range Rover sport has an LPG conversion and there are two lpg garages within 10 miles. One is 74.9p litre and the other is Morrisons at 54.9p litre.. When I fill up that's nearly £20 cheaper so it does circa 290 miles (urban) for about £48.
Thats not bad for a 400bhp SUV.
As for my X5 I've done a lot more miles in it recently and I agree, you can notice the transmission altering the way it works. For the record it's a 4.4 and it shows 19mpg.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Journey

Post by henrym3 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:47 pm

I’m back down Dorset the end of the month for a week and I expect that mpg to be vastly better on that journey. Wife is going this time so probably a bit more sensible speed. I mean, I’ve had better mpg towing a trailer than I did on this journey. But I did enjoy :)