Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear subframe bushes

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Roryb1985

Rear subframe bushes

Post by Roryb1985 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:10 am

Well guess the time has come to change the rear subframe bushes on the old girl. Got the tool and bushes on order. I may do a write up on the job if it’s going to be any help on here

SRH990

Re: Rear subframe bushes

Post by SRH990 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:33 pm

Just done 3 of mine, couldn't do the nearside rear bush as one of the nuts holding the exhaust mount on is just spinning, I've ordered a new exhaust mount so I can cut the old one off to enable me to get the support plate off.
Observations on having done it?
1. You need to get the subframe down a fair way to give room to get the part of the removal tool on top of the bush, I used a long pry bar and wedged a piece of wood in to keep the subframe down. I found I needed more clearance to get the top of the insertion piece of the tool out.
2. The bushes seemed slightly reluctant to come out, I used a propane torch to heat the part of the subframe where the bushes go which seemed to make it easier.
3. I also used the torch on the exhaust bracket before bending it down to give clearance for the tool, same bending it back.

It was a pretty easy job with the generic eBay removal/replacement tool although I did have to use my angle grinder to dress the spigot of the bottom part of the insertion tool, it was slightly too big to fit in the bush.