Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

The time has come..

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Themoog2

The time has come..

Post by Themoog2 » Thu May 09, 2019 4:45 am

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and put the X5 in for a new torque converter or whatever is causing the knocking noise before it let's go and creates more damage..
Ill use Stevenson engineering near Ware as I've been there to see the operation (the amount of relatively modern vehicles in for broken transmission is staggering) so they know their stuff. Torque converters are rebuilt in house too.
I reckon the cost will be between £800 and 2K but in my opinion it's worth it. I've been searching for another E53 for months and everything I looked at was not in as good condition as mine even though they were newer or less mileage.

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: The time has come..

Post by graemeX5 » Thu May 09, 2019 7:27 am

Hi

That sounds like a sensible plan to avoid having issues especially when a search for a replacement car shows some are worse but then they will all be a similar age and mileage.

I guess even if they take it apart to check it at that point a lot of the work and costs has been don so it's worth having a rebuilt unit fitted.

Graeme

hennabm

Post by hennabm » Thu May 09, 2019 12:29 pm

What are your symptoms making you suspicious of the transmission?

Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Thu May 09, 2019 6:22 pm

Torque converter is knocking. Had a barny with the wife about it today as she wants me to sell it and use the Range Rover and she will use the mini. Her logic is if the car is worth say £2k and it may cost circa £1- 2k to sort then sell..
I like my old X5. Good old V8..

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Thu May 09, 2019 9:07 pm

If we all thought like that there won't be many left ,thank goodness for man maths :D

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Thu May 09, 2019 9:19 pm

If like me you like your old cars and you’ve kept them in good nick these rare one of expenses are just something you have to accept. It will still probably be less than a third of what you will spend replacing it. Then you’ll have to start spending on the replacement unless of course your buying new.