Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Diagnostic readers

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Harrymonk

Diagnostic readers

Post by Harrymonk » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:10 pm

any recommendations for an OBD reader for my 2005 E53 3.0D . I have the 4x4 light on and want to try and find out what is triggering it.
I dont think my transfer case is doing it as I have no noise from that area and I have tried the lock to lock steering whilst driving slowly with no success.
So I think I might invest in a reader.

marti

Re: Diagnostic readers

Post by marti » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:05 pm

I use icarsoft BMM V2.0 for a quick diagnostic.....I also have Carsoft V12 and Rheingold but they are laptop based.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/iCarsoft-BMM ... 0fe3fc68a9

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:47 pm

I use the Carly App with the dongle for IOS across ours. Subscription based tool that seems to work OK. Use it across all of our ‘fleet’ of BMWs. Not cheap though. Support is good too.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Harrymonk

Post by Harrymonk » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:12 pm

Thanks folks I will look at both suggestions to see which suits best

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:26 pm

I would also throw in the Foxwell 520 as an excellent scanner

Smeeagain
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Smeeagain » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:29 pm

Harrymonk wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:10 pm any recommendations for an OBD reader for my 2005 E53 3.0D . I have the 4x4 light on and want to try and find out what is triggering it.
I dont think my transfer case is doing it as I have no noise from that area and I have tried the lock to lock steering whilst driving slowly with no success.
So I think I might invest in a reader.
Not a recommendation for a reader but a reason to why the light is on - every time I have had this is, it has been a battery issue. Try charging, or conditioning the battery. Take readings off the hidden menu for battery voltage. If you now someone with an X5 and a battery then swap it over. IT is either a 4wd/transmission issue or a battery issue in my opinion with 9 years of ownership and associated issues. That said a diagnostic reader is a worthwhile investment

Smee

dazzasgotav8

Post by dazzasgotav8 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:18 pm

when my 4x4 light came on it was the steering angle sensor at fault , two ways to go buy a new one but will need coding or risk the lifespan of a used one , i went with the used so no coding needed good thing is its not a bmw x5 specific part mine was off a mini and for some reason a used mini one is cheaper than an x5 one even though same part number , and not a bad part to replace long as you dont mind being upside down in the foot well :rofl: