Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front cv joint boot - drivers side

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
ttr

Front cv joint boot - drivers side

Post by ttr » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:58 pm

Eh up all,

Cars been a peach of late - then spotted a trace of grease on the inner wheel rim after a drive.

Checked out underneath and found a split in the cv gaiter nearest the wheel - thinks it’s referenced as outer cv joint as opposed to inner.

Anyone done this job at all, been reading up on here and some good posts.

Most concerned about

Cracking front driveshaft nut - no impact driver so will be impact socket and large extension bar !
Getting the splined shaft out of the front hub
Then need clarity on removing the gaiter as I understand this needs to be completed to remove the gaiter and replace

Any advice more than welcome

Considering which route to take on this as pretty handy with spanner’s but know my limitations and don’t want to drop a piece of my anatomy and end up it costing me more ( usual Yorkshire man )

Cheers all

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Front cv joint boot - drivers side

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:59 pm

Have you had a look at newtis.info to see what the official guide says that you can then scale back to mortal abilities and less special tools & cost?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

ttr

Post by ttr » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:09 pm

Eh up x5sport

Will have a look through - but nowt like first hand experience from on here.

Doing stuff on your back in the garage or drive with limited space and kit is always a challenge and having good tips save you time and money.

If it’s a ?as7&rd of a job might pass it to garage but if I can will do it myself

Cheers all

sleepyfolk

Post by sleepyfolk » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:58 pm

Does this guide make it any clearer about removing the shaft https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticl ... cement.htm

ttr

Post by ttr » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:13 am

Sleepyfolk

Got that one already pal thanks when I was researching

It’s a help for sure just wanted to check with anyone’s hands on experiences really.

Cheers again

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:00 pm

Interestingly I’m removing the driveshafts at the moment from a b3 to change bearings, done one side, went as easy as the pelican article suggests, the other side has beaten me. Have stripped the threads on my 3 legged puller, my 6 ton press won’t budge it. Have done the X5 in the past, without problems, took the shaft out complete, took the cv joint off wheel end and renewed both boots. Probably didn’t need to do inner as it doesn’t articulate as much. Just making the - point that it can be a pig or a doddle.

ttr

Post by ttr » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:56 pm

Eh up henrym3

Good to hear from you too again.

Hope it’s treating you well livin upt north.

Thanks for the information, it’s as I was thinking really. Job could go either way, got the puller from work it’s a big bugger we used on the hgv so should shift owt. Concerned about getting the spline shaft out still and cracking that wheel nut off even though I’ve got socket and scaff pole.

Need a think as last thing I want is cause a bigger issue than just replacing a gaiter.

Thanks for the advice

dazzasgotav8

Post by dazzasgotav8 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:10 pm

i have had both of my fronts apart and drivers side fell apart but passengers side the shaft was tight on the splines in the hub , i guess its down to what tools you have at hand , like the girlfriend keeps telling me i have way to many but that said not many jobs i struggle with :D always use a large drop of copper slip on reassembley least next time your there it will come apart , my only advice would be get a good quality rubber boot kit someone had fitted one of them plastic boots what a waste of time ..

mr angry

Post by mr angry » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:33 am

The front outer cv boots are possibly one of the easiest I have done on a car and you should have no issues. Just make sure you have a 36mm multi-point socket to remove the hub nut.

Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:34 pm

Just give it to a garage to save all the agro. I had mine done a few months ago. MOT, one gaiter replacement and brake fluid change was only £170.

ttr

Post by ttr » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:26 pm

Dazz - thanks for that bit like me I’ve got kit I think to do job just worried about the points I’ve raised hence wanting advice of here. It’s the splines that bother me most in the job more than owt else. Will spend some brass and get a decent gaiter - might need a lay down if it’s expensive :thumbsdown:

Mrangry- got a 36mm impact for some reason ( might have had one from the series 2 Range Rover I had a long tine ago) I’m hoping that will do the job though it’s not a multipoint. Cheers for the feedback

Themoog2 - got to admit I’m still weighing up the job with all the advice on here off to see a mate of mine Saturday who’s a proper mechanic not like me . Will pick his brains too and then decide, I’m tempted to give it a bash if I’m honest as I like a challenge but ain’t about to rush into problems.

Cheers all , this club had to be one of the best for sharing information and getting answers to stuff :thumbsup:

dazzasgotav8

Post by dazzasgotav8 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:33 pm

You will deffo need a multi point socket , i brought febi bilstein boots they where only £9 with postage only thing i needed to buy extra was a new hub nut but that was only couple quid , you can pretty much get an idea how free your shaft is in the hub by just undoing the hub nut so if i was you whizz the hub nut off see if the shaft moves then make your choice from that .

ttr

Post by ttr » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:13 pm

Dazz

Cheers will get the febi kit, used them before and it’s good gear. Was looking at Mahle as another option if they make them.

Will get a multi point socket then too- just assumed the impact would fit :thumbsup:

Good tip on the spline will take nut of unload axle and see if it shifts a bit with an easing tool :wink:

Cheers

wpoll

Post by wpoll » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:25 am

You can change the boot without removing the CV from the knuckle no need to touch the axle nut.

Remove the wheel.
Undo the lower control arm at chassis end only.
Remove the outer boot clamps and slide the outer boot back down the axle.
While pulling the hub outwards, seat a heavy alloy drift on the inner shoulder of the outer CV joint (right next to the axle) and smack it. Once is usually enough to pop the axle from the outer CV joint. It helps to use something to stop the axle moving outwards too, like vice-grips (tape the axle to protect it). Support the axle so as to not damage inner CV etc.
Remove the old boot from the axle.
Slide new boot over axle.
Clean and re-lube CV (the balls can even be removed for cleaning etc.)
Re-install axle back into outer CV.
Slide new boot over joint and secure with new boot clamps.
Re-install lower control arm and wheel.

This method is quick, reduces the number of items you have to pull apart but requires some technique (separating the axle from the CV). It also requires a helper and some luck!

I've done this and it's a doddle... :thumbsup:

ttr

Post by ttr » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:19 pm

Wpoll

Eh up , thanks for that need to get me head round that one.

I get the drift so to speak just need to think it through, sounds simples! :)

Off to see my mate at his garage tomorrow, if I can borrow a 4 post one Saturday or Sunday it will make it easier whichever way I choose

Cheers for all the advice :thumbsup: