Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Front cv joint boot - drivers side

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
ttr

Re: Front cv joint boot - drivers side

Post by ttr » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:27 pm

Eh up all,

I always try and post an update in case it helps other folks

I finally found time to sort out my outer cv boot today especially as it’s Mot time too :thumbsdown:

I’m lucky I managed to cash a few favours in an get use of a two post lift at a mates garage.

Used the guides on here :thumbsup: and cracked of the 36mm hub but with an extension bar an scaff pole! Bl66dy hell on tight and I ain’t no lightweight.

Next dropped the lower arm, nut and bolt came out a dream, not like my 02 shogun used to be which used monkey metal nuts and bolts :headbang:

Next clouted the spline with a drift and easing tool !! :rofl: a few times ...... got that to move.

Shifted the strut assembly enough to slide out the splined drive shaft without moving anything else. Bang on result :D

Cut of boot checked no S41t was in the grease, then cheated ....used a stretch boot powered by air tool, slipped it over in minutes, repacked with grease , result. :thumbsup:

Re assembled with a touch of copper grease here an there and it then flew through mot :driving:

Hope this helps a few others, I could not afford to run mine without all the help on here. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps someone else, it is easier than you think as I was not looking forward to this job

Cheers all

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Front cv joint boot - drivers side

Post by henrym3 » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:26 pm

Well done, glad it went well for you. Good result on MOT to. Hopefully another years trouble free motoring