Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Scam

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Scam

Post by henrym3 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:45 pm

My son who is selling his X5 2003 4.4ltr had some people come to look. Really good vehicle very little mileage since a new gearbox, l did the guides and other bits before moving up here. Has the 9.5 Android screen, bla bla. Anyway, 5 people turn up, very impressed (their words) after test drive, while 2 distract him at the back, 1 watches, 1 keeps an eye on the house, 1 opens the bonnet removes the coolant filler cap and pours some oil into the header tank. Then points out that there is oil in the coolant so must have a serious problem but they would still have it for 2k less than asking. Unfortunately for them his 14 year old son is a bit of a teccy and has installed a number of cameras around the house and is able to monitor them in his bedroom. Saw all this happening and had the sense to immediately tell his dad they had poured something into a tank. The rest of the story is unimportant but be aware of this scam.

marti

Re: Scam

Post by marti » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:32 pm

I would be on my guard if 5 people came to see a vehicle I was selling.....but what a nightmare!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:44 pm

And putting the guilty parties faces all over tinternet with a ‘scammers’ warning for anyone selling a car to be aware of!

Kudos to the youngster spotting the sh*ts in action.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

dazzasgotav8

Post by dazzasgotav8 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:57 pm

think i would of let them meet my bit of 4x2 , whats the matter with people think some social media shaming is needed for that lot .

Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:22 pm

Had it happen to me when selling a vw golf about 6 years ago. 5 or 6 ‘Irish persons of no fixed abode’ turned up and tried to distract me while some played with the car and others attempted to enter the house.
Fortunately I had my wits about me and locked the house up and also kept the car keys in my pocket.
After some colourful conversation they eventually buggered off although a child that was with them left some drawing on the drive that he did with a stone..