Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

3.0ltr

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

3.0ltr

Post by henrym3 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:33 pm

It is often discussed about X pipes and H pipes but always in reference to the V8’s. Having crawled around under the B3 Alpina for several days I couldn’t help noticing that it has an H pipe fitted to Alpina’s own exhaust. As I assume their engineers know more than most, there must be some benefits, after all they managed to add 87bhp. Wondered why there isn’t more discussion by the 3.0ltr owners?

Greydog

Re: 3.0ltr

Post by Greydog » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:02 am

Interesting, as you say Alpina engineers are no slouches when it comes to finding an extra HP or two. It would be interesting to compare an M3 system never looked at one of those.
I have seen underneath my AMG's though when I ran those V8 with H pipe from memory

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:00 pm

If I'm remembering this correctly from when I researched exhaust system design in the early '80s, and it still holds true, then putting an X- or H-pipe into a twin pipe system will effectively shorten the secondary pipes of the manifold. What this will achieve in terms of engine performance is to move the power-band higher up the rev-range. It's all about "scavenging". But it's not just about the exhaust. Cam timing, duration and lift also come into the equation. To an extent, one dictates the other. Alpina's exhaust design will be influenced by their choice of cam profiles.

There wouldn't be much noticeable gain from putting an X or H into the system of an otherwise standard 6-cylinder. With a V-engine running a fully twinned system the X or H smooths the uneven exhaust note, that's the usual reason for doing it.

EDIT:- Since I posted ^^^ that, I found this..... https://www.carid.com/articles/are-x-pi ... stems.html
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:43 pm

Well I have a 4.4v8 and I have been contemplating removing the centre silencer and putting in a H pipe. Not an X pipe as I want more torque and volume lower in the rev range. I may also swap the rear mufflers to 4.8 ones as they give a slightly deeper tone
We will see...

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:40 pm

Just for your interest I changed my exhaust for no other reason than the back boxes rusted enough to develop holes. I fitted a Magna flow system consisting off an enclosed X pipe and two resonators with NO back boxes. Sounds nice not intrusive in any way inside the vehicle, doesn’t resonate, very good quality hand made by Profusion Exhausts.