Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Discs & Breaks 3.0d

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Tottenhall

Discs & Breaks 3.0d

Post by Tottenhall » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:48 pm

I have an e53 3.0D and want to upgrade the discs and breaks. Any suggestions for good value components... ?

Also looking to buy some alloys to suit a silver model, any pics or suggestions for good looking set and where to find..?

Thanks

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Discs & Breaks 3.0d

Post by X5Sport » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:14 pm

Alloywheelsdirect direct list all of the official options and you can start hunting from there. Or use Realoem (use the last 7 of you VIN in Serial Number to get the right model/year) which is a copy of the BMW Parts database.

Be careful with some after market models as there was an issue with cracking due to the wheels not being good enough to handle the E53s weight. It may have been solved but best to be aware :)

The only kits I have seen referred to in here are Brembo and they can be silly money. There have been threads in the past covering different brake pads on the existing calipers and discs. EPC do a range if Brembo are a little too excessive price wise. Have a search on here for both.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:32 pm

I dunno if e70 brakes fit an e53 but they are huge at 365mm diameter on the sd model and probably a very cost effective upgrade with calipers but you would probably need minimum 19's to fit them ! :driving:

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:08 pm

What is wrong with the ones that are on it.
Mine are spot on never felt the need for anything better.

Tottenhall

Post by Tottenhall » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:21 pm

Thanks everyone. TBH theres nothing wrong with the discs just a bit rusty but after doing some investigation into replacements etc, I’ll probably just take them off and give them clean up 👍