Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Help: Which Petrol Engine ?

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Spy

Help: Which Petrol Engine ?

Post by Spy » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:31 pm

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a petrol engined E53 and I am a little confused in trying to work out the models I should be targeting whilst avoiding those models with potential issues.

I am not worried about displacement size as economy wise they are all similar apart from the 4.6 which is particularly bad on fuel consumption.

My options seem to be:

Pre-Facelift:
3.0 M54 B30: Very reliable engine that has been used in cars like the E39
4.4 M62 TUB44: Very reliable engine that has been used in cars like the E38. Is this ULEZ compliant ?

Post-Facelift (different 4WD system and 6 speed gearbox?:
3.0 M54 B30: same engine as in pre-facelift
4.4 N62 B44: suffers a number of issues, the most expensive being valve stem seals
4.8 N62 B48: suffers a number of issues, the most expensive being valve stem seals

Based on the above, if I want to avoid potential costly issues, I am assuming I should be targeting:

the pre-facelift 3.0 and 4.4 or a post facelift 3.0 ?

And of the above, would the post facelift 3.0 be the better choice ?

Also, which models had air suspension as I would like to avoid those ?

Is my thinking correct ? Any other advice ?

marti

Re: Help: Which Petrol Engine ?

Post by marti » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:52 pm

Had a e38 with the 4.4 M62 TUB44....never had a problem with it apart from rocker cover gaskets leaking and expansion tank splitting in 120000 miles of my ownership.

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:07 pm

A few observations as a very long term 4.8is owner who also owned a 3.0 prior to that....

1. The 3.0 might be reliable, but it is underpowered and very boring in the big X5 body. Depends what you want - petrol consumption is actually worse than the V8s as it has to work incredibly hard to power the big heavy X5 body. I really did not enjoy ours - plus the gearbox in the 3.0 was somewhat flakey especially when cold, there was a BIG problem with reverse gear engagement - a known recall in the US, it was as usual just covered up and minimised here - not enough units sold, i suspect, to bother BMW much.

2. The 4.6 and the later 4.8 iS variants are both highly tuned, somewhat modified Alpina engines. I drove a 4.8is for over 10 years, they are pricey to maintain, kept mine warrantied until the coolant hose let go on the motorway a few weeks ago and sustained engine damage which is now being restored by another forum member.............the 4.8 had all round air suspension which was notoriously flakey - mine was fully replaced at least twice under warranty - £1000's of pounds of work and parts. The 4.6 was a less refined version of the later 4.8 - the 4.8 vehicles are also generally very high spec.

3. 4.4 is a somewhat older engine, AW8 has a lot of experience as he ran one for many years, perhaps he will chip in.

4. It is no longer easy to find a decent, unmodded / chavved up, molested example of any of these models (maybe a 3.0? who would have bothered?) so good luck............

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:08 pm

You need to check if any of the models are EU4 compliant as that is the minimum spec for the London ULEZ. Typically that means vehicles registered after 2005 though some manufacturers started making EU4 in 2001. You will need a specific registration number to check though.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:52 pm

Don’t see why you should discount the 4.6l. Got all the toys that this age of vehicle came with, like any of the others just make sure they all work before buying, they all suffer the same suspension problems, bushes, ball joints etc etc, at the mileage you’ll be buying if they haven’t been done virtually all will need doing. If you can’t do it your self then I assume you’re aware you need deep pockets to get it done. Most came with rear air and rarely do people post on here about rear air problems. The 4.6l has the timing chain guides problem like any M62 and if not done by 100k your on borrowed time. The M62 main problem (in my eyes) is running at to high a coolant temperature, causes to much pressure in the system, therefore the heat cycles are higher which has a detrimental effect on the guides and your forever chasing coolant weeps and busted header tanks. Lower the running temperature and it seems to cure these problems. I haven’t had to top up coolant in over 3 years. 3.0l has its own problems of engine ventilation system disa. Obviously I’m giving a shout for the V8 but all will need on going maintenance Good Luck I hope you find a good one. They are out there.

sleepyfolk

Post by sleepyfolk » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:06 pm

4.6 is ulez compliant as well! :driving:

Spy

Post by Spy » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:41 am

Thanks for all the replies.

My preference was for a V8 but became concerned with the M62/N62 engine issues.

Fuel consumption wise there is not much difference between the 3.0, 4.4 and 4.8 so all things being equal, the 4.8 would be the best one to go for were it not for those issues.

The facelift 3.0 should have the better gearbox so at least that would eliminate one issue.

I have run V8s before, one a diesel and the other a pre-Vanos M62. Both proved reliable although the coolant tank issue did rear its head on the M62 but no big deal.
It would be my preference but the early VANOS M62 and later N62 issues do scare me a little that I could end up with a car that could potentially be scrap in a year !

Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:20 pm

V8 all the way. Every motor has its problems so don't worry about it.

coops

Post by coops » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:45 pm

Go with a V8 and hope for the best! prepare for the worst and you'll be pleasantly surprised

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:20 pm

Facelifted E53s had gearbox issues too. It wasn’t until the E70 with the updated ZF Mk2 6-sp box that the number of failures declined.

Plenty of good cars out there :D
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

coops

Post by coops » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:57 pm

convert to manual or 8 speed auto and bobs your uncle