Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Head unit recommendations

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Nick_Stone

Head unit recommendations

Post by Nick_Stone » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:44 am

Good morning all

I own a 2002 X5 E53. Only had it a month and loving it, but I really feel that the original audio system (Business with Tape!) needs updating.

I'm after any and all advice really.
Recommendations, what to watch for, don't does etc

As above it has business edition with tape and 6 CD changer in the back. It's not DSP that i can make out doing some reading up.

I'd like to keep the steering wheel functionality if possible.

Having had a look on Google, there's a lot of Chinese stuff about, but i'm unsure whats best.

Gordon

Re: Head unit recommendations

Post by Gordon » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:53 am

I had a Pioneer AVIC-F980 fitted, including reversing camera. The fitting wasn't cheap but I'm extremely please with the system. The old unit is stored in a box in my garage in case the next owner wants it.

Gordon

Gordon

Post by Gordon » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:55 am

Forgot to mention, steering wheel controls retained.

Gordon

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:18 pm

Check out Dynavin it will look OEM and I am told the current model also allows all OBC functions to be retained

Good Luck

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:22 pm

I suppose it depends on how much you want from your system. ie do you want to use sd cards for stored music or memory sticks to watch videos. tv, satnav, Bluetooth reverse camera etc.. Tell it to read out your messages and dictate a reply. I’ve got all of those things on the old n6 dynavin so the n7 should be even better. But they are expensive, in all honesty I listen to the radio (dab) and if I use the other facilities it’s mostly to check if they still work so that I would have something to whinge about if they didn’t.. like paddle shift, looks good, never used. I’ve got the Chinese ones in the r32 and b3, less than a 1/3 the price and do 90% of above and been reliable, one over 12 years old. People now seem to favour the android setups so as to have internet if that’s your thing. Not wanting to put a downer on your new purchase but a 2002 will need ongoing maintenance and things break. Buying one of the Chinese setups like Eonon/Extron and keeping the £500 you’ll save in your pocket for "other’" things might be worth thinking about. Good luck with your choice, at least the fitting will be easier without DSP.

sleepyfolk

Post by sleepyfolk » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:13 am

I had a Dynavin N7 - nightmare and never worked properly, then had an Alpine unit fitted - bit Marmite but I like it :lol:

https://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/Sin ... /iLX-F903D

Steering wheel controls retained as well. It’s all a bit more involved if you’ve got the DSP amp, if you haven’t - happy days
58E6FD71-C6A6-432A-B68F-347DDFC187CA.jpeg
58E6FD71-C6A6-432A-B68F-347DDFC187CA.jpeg (335.3 KiB) Viewed 2828 times
16B6649B-645B-402A-8590-EF4F6F4A6CFD.jpeg
16B6649B-645B-402A-8590-EF4F6F4A6CFD.jpeg (340.51 KiB) Viewed 2828 times

Nick_Stone

Post by Nick_Stone » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:24 am

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

henrym3 - You are quite correct in the "Other Things" that need sorting lol. The head unit is on the list, but not until after xmas I think. Need to get the autobox oil done next before anything else...

Greydog - I'll have a look at those :thumbsup:

Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:59 am

I've retained the standard set up in mine but I wish it would work properly..

MarkX50

Post by MarkX50 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:55 am

Hi guys - I am interested in this thread. I have mad my car a few months and it has an xtrons unit. Seems okay if you are tech savvy which for me is more work than it should be (basically working out the settings.... far too many!).

As such I am considering buying an original head unit and going back to OEM.

Can anyone tell me if this is a simple as plug and play?

If not the alpine unit above looks interesting! Does it retain all OEM functions such as PDC, headlights coming on when you unlock the car?

Cheers
Mark

sleepyfolk

Post by sleepyfolk » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:30 pm

I’ve PM’d Mark a few questions:
1. Does he know what was originally fitted - i.e did it have Nav
2. Did it or does it still have DSP
3. Does he have the original BM54 amp still in place?

I’m guessing xtrons uses the 5m loom through the car like the Dynavin units? Quick google suggested so.

I figure if he has the BM54 still in the boot he could plug it back in - install an old OEM unit off eBay and he’s away.
Then if he wants to upgrade to Bluetooth streaming etc etc he could send his BM54 off for upgrade with Baris.

If not he could go down the upgrade route like mine and have something completely new - if he has 12 speaker DSP he’ll need active crossovers and an amp to power the subs.

I’m not sure what you need to do if you just had the standard Jon DSP set up from build.

To retain OBC functions to set clock etc, I believe the only routes are:
1. Keep an OEM set up
2. Retain your old head unit to plug in and set the clock manually.
3. Extend the OEM wiring to the boot for the NAV head unit and fit it in there (think Henry did it), or if you had the small MID unit as original fit - wire that into the glovebox.

Please correct me if I’m giving duff advice!

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:16 pm

Sleepy folk if your set up is Android have you got DSP.

sleepyfolk

Post by sleepyfolk » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:07 pm

Hi Henry, mine is the alpine unit and I did have DSP which we managed to work around , it’s Mark in the post above me I was trying to help.

MarkX50

Post by MarkX50 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:38 pm

Hi Sleepyfolk, really appreciate your detailed email - I am not with my car at the moment, but when I’m back I will do some investigation to understand the best way forward. I noticed you mentioned a baris upgrade - something else to add to my research list! 😀👍.

sleepyfolk

Post by sleepyfolk » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:16 pm

Yes - if you’ve still got the original BM54 in the boot it can be upgraded with more modern features or repaired if necessary.
Personally if you need to spend a few quid on upgrading old kit and buying an old head unit etc it’ll be worth comparing the price with putting in a more modern unit, otherwise it might work out to be expensive to essentially go back in time and get some old tech working.

I’ve never used him (Baris) personally but have seen him mentioned numerous times on forums that’s all, I think this is his website

http://www.carphonics.co.uk/bm54upgrades.htm

MarkX50

Post by MarkX50 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:48 pm

Cheers SleepyFolk!