Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

BMW e90 heater advice ( similar to x5 dual zone)

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
ttr

BMW e90 heater advice ( similar to x5 dual zone)

Post by ttr » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:49 am

All,

Wonder if you can help please and Moderator feel free to move this thread if its in the wrong place..

i run a 2005 X5 as well as my E90 which is an 2009 LCI 320d with 141k on the clock and runs like a dream ( or has so far other than basic maintenance i do myself)

In the car the other day and noticed that the heat from the blower vents was only tepid, its not done that before ?

All the HVAC functions work correctly, or appear to temp setting knods, display, etc , blower speed goes up and down as does vent direction flow ( screen/mid/feet). I checked the obvious and made sure i had correct levels in the coolant tank as well, engine appears to be normally operating.

I checked again today and the car is only letting tepid air in on any heat setting from 18-28 degrees, other than if i turn it to cold or aircon which works perfectly.

Mines a uk spec with dual zone and both zones are the same, i checked this as well.

Initial thoughts without going to the cost of a fault read are:-

Possible clogged heater matix - un likley given it was perfect over 2 days ago, but should not rule out
Faulty HVAC unit - appears to work correctly on all settings but its electronic so will havea mind of its own !
Faulty JBE unit - which understand from digging converts the signal from the HVAC unit and send them down the line
Faulty cabin heater pump ( the uk cars have one located on the passenger side wing as i now understand - not sure how this works yet or why it would not let warm water from the engine through but looks logical as a potential cause

Other than that is there any more work i can do to fault find before taking to an indy to see what they can find ?

Any help or advise greatly appreciated - appreciate some of you guys may have experience or cross over knowledge on the BMW e90 or similar

Cheers all

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: BMW e90 heater advice ( similar to x5 dual zone)

Post by Alan Gunn » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:35 pm

Is the engine getting up to temp.
What does it say in the hidden menu.?

ttr

Post by ttr » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:49 pm

Alan

Eh up, engaged option 19 on hidden menu and engine temp is in normal operating range.

Coolant level is fine too.

I’m at a loss on this one - given all appears fine with electronics it’s a mystery

I’m going to check the inlet / outlets pipes to heater matrix and see if there a temp difference?

That might narrow it down a bit.

Also there’s a cabin heater that’s just prior to the matrix which might be a Point to consider for me.

All help great fully received

Cheers all

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:06 pm

Most low heat from heater issues are due to faulty thermostats , you may have just noticed now as its bloody cold outside , you will never notice in summer ! It should be 88c what are you getting while moving as that's when its important ? :D

ttr

Post by ttr » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:16 pm

Leslie,

Eh up, I’m looking to check engine temp via the hidden menu on the e90 , apparently you can see the operating temp whist car in motion and tick over, I’m betting though it ain’t this.

Through no firm evidence I’m edging toward mixer flaps or the control valve - again need chance to checkk inlet outlet pipes from heater matrix and get a proper diagram realoem isn’t helping me too much on this.

I’m hoping it is not the matrix by the way, confident I can deal with blower, fsr, pumps and stats but stripping the dash out to get to the matrix isn’t on my Christmas wish list :

Cheers for the feedback I will follow it through :thumbsup:

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:37 pm

On my e70 mine was about 65 to 70c on the move it will be higher sitting but drops when moving , its quite easy to get the menu up , will be a how to on youtube and you unlock the menu by adding the last digits of the vin together ..will be explained on youtube.
Id hope it was stats as anything else is likely to be harder to fix, keep us posted :thumbsup:

ttr

Post by ttr » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:21 pm

Eh up all,

Well took the afternoon of after check engine temp on diagnostics at mates garage- running at circa 63 degrees.

Read the coolant pipes with a laser thermal gun and decided it might be the stat stuck open.

Swapped over today with a febi one, in fairness it was an easy fit with good access, fitted some RTV round the casting just to be sure of a seal. Topped up , bled through the prescribed method and blow me :driving: heat through the vents :thumbsup:

Will check and top up if needed and run for a while but it looks like a dead simple thermostat issue.

I hope this helps others out, even with our X5 s , I was looking for more complex problems so glad I went back and checked the basics

Cheers all.

No doubt will be back on soon with the X5 as want to do some preventative maintenance on that when I get chance!

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:08 pm

Well that's that sorted :D