Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

X5 E53 Rear door wont open

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
kanewesley

X5 E53 Rear door wont open

Post by kanewesley » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:12 pm

On My E53 X5, for some reason, BOTH rear doors refused to open at exactly the same time from either the inside or outside door handle.
I have had this trouble with both my front doors and I used the following trick to get the front doors open with a piece of wire rod.

https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5- ... -pics.html

(different forum I know)

When I got the front doors opened, I trickled 3 in 1 oil down my wire rod to lubricate the mechanism inside the door and then all was ok.

This trick don't seem to work on the rear doors as everything regarding the mechanism is in a different place to the front door.

I have managed to get one of the rear doors now opened by "banging" down on the door frame above the rear door handle just as I was operating the outer door handle / catch.

However, this wont work with the other rear door.

Any ideas please? preferably on a similar line to this :

https://xoutpost.com/bmw-sav-forums/x5- ... -pics.html

Which does work every time with the front doors.

Thanks.

Greydog

Re: X5 E53 Rear door wont open

Post by Greydog » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:59 am

I have suffered the front door issue, door stuck closed. It is possible to remove the door card with the door in place as long as you are careful all that is sacrificed are some plastic clips (I brought spares before taking the card off) Once the card is off operating the lock and opening the door was easy. The issue was corrosion penetrating oil and manually working the lock until its free was my answer then cleaning the lock and the area around it then smothering it in a lithium spray grease seems to have fixed it (4 years now) I worked my way around the doors over a number of weekends just to be sure'
I don't know if you can get the rear door cards off with the door shut just getting at the rear lock is a faddle even with the card off and vapour barrier out of the way (tip use a hair dryer or heat gun to warm the adhesive on the vapour barrier when peeling it off)

Good luck