Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rain Rain glorious rain but

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Rick G

Rain Rain glorious rain but

Post by Rick G » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:03 am

Rain Rain glorious rain but when I opened my glovebox, it was full of water. Not just wet but Full so that it spilled out over the already saturated carpet.Unaccustomed as I am to seeing water falling from the sky I was somewhat surprised. We got 6 inches in 24 hours but at my sister in laws place on the Gold Coast close to 12 inches
Checking around I find that the sunroof drain is a likely culprit but I also found that there is a trim piece missing from the top of the windscreen. I don't know what this trim even looks like and is it important in keeping the wet stuff out.
I have found that when the front left of the car is the lowest point is when the water gets in so it is getting to look like it is the sunroof drain is the problem. Anybody got pointers on where and how to start looking?

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Rain Rain glorious rain but

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:15 pm

Glad it’s raining at last - though some of it seems more like a deluge!

Have a look at newtis.info (copy of BMW Tech Instr on line) and see if that helps?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

marti

Post by marti » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:54 pm

You will find 2 drain holes at the front and possibly two at the rear, you need some strimmer twine melted over at the end so not damage the drain tube....some warm soapy water, pour said water in to the channels of the sunroof and gently push the twine down each drain hole until water comes out under the car, normally behind each of the wheels for the respective drain.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:24 pm

Had this happen on drivers side, had to remove the trim panel that goes up the side of the windscreen, (with air bag) remove the grab handle and sunshade in order to pull the roof trim down enough to refit the drain tube. Don’t know why it came off, it was quite a tight fit to put back on but put a cable tie round it for good measure.

Rick G

Post by Rick G » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:34 pm

Great thanks for those hints I will get in there and have a look around.