Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Intermittent failsafe problem

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Gazdon

Intermittent failsafe problem

Post by Gazdon » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:16 pm

Hi peps my name is gaz and I'm new to the forum and new to the x5 I'm having a few issues with my 2002 x5 e53 3.0 diesel the main one at the moment is a intermittent failsafe mode that clears ones I turn the engine off and restart it only happens when cold my mate plugged in his obd scan tool and the faults came up with p0235 charge air pressure sensor p1640 ecu defect eeprom and configuration and p3505 flow system could anyone please help kind regards gaz

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Intermittent failsafe problem

Post by X5Sport » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:06 pm

Hi Gaz, the intermittent transmission failsafe is frequently down to a failing battery. If it’s more than 4-5 years old then it will be heading towards end of life.

Other causes are only doing short journeys meaning the battery doesn’t charge fully and starting the car before the warning lights have cycled and either gone out or settled.

The error codes are generic rather than BMW specific which makes it harder to work out the actual issues being logged. It’s worth clearing them and seeing if they return as they may be historic and no longer present.

They could indicate the turbo output pressure is too low, a bad air hose/leak, or a sensor issue for the first one.
An engine management issue with the second - has it ever been remapped (that you know of)?
No idea for the third one though, sorry. Might just be airflow from the intake to the engine, or on the exhaust side.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Gazdon

Post by Gazdon » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:43 pm

Thankyou x5sport for your help might be worth investing in a new battery as when I bought the car it was completely flat and had to be recharged but has started the car with no problems so far but that means nothing low amps etc.

sleepyfolk

Post by sleepyfolk » Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:46 am

When you’ve got your new one, if youlike me tend to do a lot of short journeys it’s a good idea to pop the smart charger on the battery once a month to keep it it good shape.
I got a Bosch S5 from ECP - I think they’re doing one of their 50% off things at the minute

marti

Post by marti » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:12 am

New battery required as has been said and sounds like the MAP sensor is on its way out, think its at the rear of the intake manifold...was on my 2004.