Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

What gearbox fluid to use please

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Gazdon

What gearbox fluid to use please

Post by Gazdon » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:28 pm

I'm thinking of changing the gearbox fluid but I'm on a budget so don't want to spend big money on over the top fluids so could you guys suggest a fluid that will do the job please on my 2002 3.0 diesel auto

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: What gearbox fluid to use please

Post by X5Sport » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:39 pm

Fluids listed here....

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e53- ... on/1MuBKi4

If you aren’t sure which box then use the last 7 of your VIN in Realoem (serial number) to pull up the right model...

It should be an A5S390R type.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=24_0986

The BMW TIS states no fluid change needed in some boxes during the service life. That ‘life’ is just three years - or as long as the BMW Warranty. It does not mean for the life of the vehicle - 18 years in your case.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:47 am

Only use the recommended fluids and filters or you can put your gearbox at risk. X5 Sport has given you where to look, now look on line for the deals and even with BMW they give discounts for older models.

A failed gearbox will cost a lot more than fluid and filters

Dave

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:02 am

Gazdon wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:28 pmdon't want to spend big money on over the top fluids
There are no "over the top fluids". There are plenty of "not up to the job fluids".
Greydog wrote:A failed gearbox will cost a lot more than fluid and filters
Definitely. :(
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:33 pm

and if your gearbox is going to fail changing the fluid won't stop it either ! :P My own opinion would be if its in 18 years best leave it alone , at that age you won't be fixing it if it goes anyway :driving: Some would say its more risky to touch it now than leave it be and the cost is quite high ...

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:10 pm

There is that too. Changing the oil to clean can flush out the crud and cause a failure that the crud was preventing. It’s a hard call as most folks have absolutely no issues with a change whereas others need a new box within a month or so. If the current oil is very dirty then that’s not a good sign as the dirt is worn clutch and brake pack debris. As above, only use the specified oil as going cheap(er) might be an expensive mistake.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Gazdon

Post by Gazdon » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:38 pm

Thankyou guys for your advice and replying think I will leave as its fine at the moment