Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Head unit replacement and keep the OBC

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Rick G

Head unit replacement and keep the OBC

Post by Rick G » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:20 pm

Some knuckle head put a pioneer head unit in this E53 and what a shocking job (wires stripped and twisted then shoved into the old connectors and twisted together and not even soldered) a real botch of a job.
I would like to have the MID working again but want an up to date GPS and Pioneer don't do an upgrade map for this particular model AVIC 950DAB for Australia (cost $1698 installed and no after sales service) a bit rich.
I have been trawling through the various threads and didn't find one on the subject of keeping the OBC but there is one heck of a lot to search through.
I have considered getting one of the HIZPO units or one of that type (much the same as the Dynavin) but I cant see if the OBC will work with them, I think not but I could be looking right past something.
Anybody got suggestions on what is good or what to avoid and what solutions are out there etc.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Head unit replacement and keep the OBC

Post by Alan Gunn » Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:30 am

You need to relocate the MID into the glove-box to keep the functions of the OBC working.
You have to extend the wires about 6 of them i think.

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:35 am

Morning Rick
Well here anyway?
I had a Dynavin unit in my 4.4 some years back which I was impressed with apparently the current versions retain all the OBC functions. here in the UK they are about £600 for the basic unit if you want to add TV or need the long extension lead from the boot (needed if you originally had the nav screen upfront and cd nav and BM54 radio in the boot.
Google Dynavin Austrailia and have a look.

Dave

Rick G

Post by Rick G » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:26 am

Oh I didn't think of that Alan, I was thinking along the lines of having it visible on the dash but it's not like it get used a lot. So now I will have to get one anybody got one to sell.

Thanks Dave I was looking at the Dynavin but they are around $1295 plus more for the DAB and TV bits.
The HIZPO units are identical to look at and are about $200 plus on Ali Express but they don't interface with the OBC.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:49 pm

Have you looked into android headunits, some of them retain OBC function, give a mountain of other features. Look on the USA forum Xoutpost.com there are loads of threads on everything you need to know. I would fit one, will fit one if my Dynavin ever starts to play up, Way cheaper than Dynavin with more facilities

Rick G

Post by Rick G » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:28 pm

Yeah I have been looking at them they seem to be the going thing.