Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Door glass Question

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Gatecrasha

Door glass Question

Post by Gatecrasha » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:27 am

Removed dark black tint from rear doors yesterday as I wanted them in clear glass to match front doors
Shocked to find I have 1 black factory tinted door glass
Are there any specific markings on the glass to identify it as being a clear window?
As so many are film tinted I'd like to make sure I get the right one
TIA ;)
Professional Falconer

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Door glass Question

Post by X5Sport » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:54 am

First of all :hi:

Odd one that. Usually all of the glass from the B-pillar back will have been factory tinted (so called sun protection glass) if that option was chosen - and it often was. All OEM glass is/was from Semperit at new, and has a BMW rounded etched on it. There might be a part number on the glass. Front glass was not dark tinted by default, or as a factory option.

One place to look is RealOEM on line. It’s a copy of the current BMW parts database. Use the last 7 characters of your VIN in the ‘serial number’ box and it will pull up the right model/year/market. That will give you the right part numbers to search for a new one. They’re normally 7 or 11 digits, and in this case 11.

I’ve pulled up the page for my old E53. First two of item 03 are the clear class factory fit below:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=51_3894

As for changing it, another useful resource is newtis.info. It’s a copy of the dealer’s tech/service manual on line.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Gatecrasha

Post by Gatecrasha » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:40 am

Some useful stuff for me to look into there thankyou ;)
I should also add I think I've sussed why it has the 1 dark glass as my x5 is a bit different in other ways ;)
1 door & interior trims are grey
Yet seating is black
2 steering wheel is pre facelift
I'm suspecting my car was stolen at some point
(Entrry via rear door glass)
Seating and steering wheel probably having been robbed
Professional Falconer

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:43 pm

Or someone wanted to fit a new interior but didn’t find all of it on line so you have a mix-up. Some preferred the look of the earlier wheel. I would have thought an insurer would have refitted it correctly - unless it was 3rd party only at the time. Still, there’s nowt as strange as folk..... :?

If you run the VIN through one of the on line BMW VIN decoders it will tell you what the ‘as built’ options were.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Gatecrasha

Post by Gatecrasha » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:03 pm

Update ;)
Door glass windows have a code on the glass itself to make identification easier so you can avoid buying the incorrect tints.
Eg my clear glass windows show code
43R-004530
While the dark tint window shows
43R-004553
Professional Falconer