Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

oil filter mod?

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
weirdfish

oil filter mod?

Post by weirdfish » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:21 am

On the 4.6 has anyone heard about a modification on the oil filter housing to prevent all the oil draining back when the car is stood for a while.

Themoog2

Re: oil filter mod?

Post by Themoog2 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:20 pm

It shouldn’t as there is a non return valve at the base of the oil filter housing. Allegedly.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:30 pm

Definitely shouldn’t drain back, when I got mine when I undid the cap to change the filter the oil pissed out of the housing and the second time, before I realised that two of the petals in the cap were missing and not lifting the filter to allow the oil to drain. Messy

weirdfish

Post by weirdfish » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:08 pm

I only ask as someone on the 4.6 facebook group has been talking about something they did to the filter housing to stop it draining back if stood for a while and stopping the rattle on initial start up.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:54 pm

I think that’s a pre-oiler mod. A couple of folks on here have done it. Not sure where it fits or what needs modifying. It’s supposed to ensure the timing chain tensioner has enough pressure right from starting the engine without waiting for the pump to pressurise everything. I think Lez did it to his.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

weirdfish

Post by weirdfish » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:21 pm

No it's not the pre oiler mod, it's all about the filter housing.
If you join the facebook 4.6 group you'll find out

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Alan Gunn » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:02 am

As said it shouldn't drain back.
Does the petrol filter holder have the small 0 ring at the bottom.
Also the pre-oiler system is the only way to have oil pressure the moment the engine turns and that stops the rattle.
Will see if i can find the article on fb.

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:29 am

There is a pressure relief/bypass valve built into the Oil Filter cap and the Oil pressure relief valve is in the oil pump (I believe there was a Dealer bulletin about it)
When my engine was rebuilt and after a ton of research I went the pre-oiler route full oil pressure delivered on start every time.
Having had the opportunity to examine the remains after oil pump failure I decided the culprit was the Chain Tensioner which operates on oil pressure but does not retain oil pressure it relies on spring tension at cold start. After many engine cycles the spring softens allowing slap, the chain guides having hardened in the same hot cycles wear faster and start to break up. Result even on an engine with regular oil changes is expensive.

weirdfish

Post by weirdfish » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:28 am

If I knew how then I'd put a link up from the FB group, but the guy reckons it stopped his start up rattle, just intrigued really as to how this might work.

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:42 pm

The pre-oiling system connects at the oil pressure switch on the Oil Filter housing. At least that's where mine is connected.

Smeeagain
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Smeeagain » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:54 am

weirdfish wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:08 pm I only ask as someone on the 4.6 facebook group has been talking about something they did to the filter housing to stop it draining back if stood for a while and stopping the rattle on initial start up.
I dont know anythign about the mod per sae, but if it is on Facebook then it must be true.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:26 pm

Surely if chain rattles on initial start up the first thing to do is replace the tensioner. This will confirm if that is the problem and whether the spring has shortened over time. If not then there is another underlying problem like guides broken up. One could argue that greydogs system will hide the fact that the guides are broken until it is to late unless regular inspection is done on guides. Not knocking greydogs system as the guides are likely to last far longer because of not slapping. I change the tensioner every 50k, will probably reduce to 30k as I’ve retired and have shorter journeys and far more stop/start.

weirdfish

Post by weirdfish » Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:36 pm

I use the x5 very very rarely and sometimes get a momentary rattle on start up for a second or 2, it seems to be top end and comes from the left hand side, it almost sounds like a tappet sort of sound but slightly heavier, I've fitted a new tensioner and it's made no difference.
I was planning on getting the valve clearances done just to rule them out but never seem to get around to it.