Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

CTec connection

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Themoog2

CTec connection

Post by Themoog2 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:29 pm

Get your lockdown ideas in!
I have a CTec that I connect into a small plug that I have wired to the jump poles under the bonnet.
I'm getting sick of popping the hood when I want to plug in - so, has anyone got any ideas as to where I can extend the wires to an external covert place so it's a quick plug in. No more bonnet opening. Lazy I know.

Alan Gunn
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: CTec connection

Post by Alan Gunn » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:54 am

No idea but where are you going to put the charger itself .

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:35 am

You could try one of these and mount it somewhere close to the grill so you can just plug in:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-56-531- ... 57&sr=8-15

or even just extend (they make a 2-metre extension cable) and tuck the tail end somewhere that you can get to.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Sandy5454

Post by Sandy5454 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:07 pm

I was a big fan of Cteck chargers but have given up on them to their poor reliability. Other good Smart Chargers are available that offer similar connectors. I have mine permanently bolted to the car and just connect externally when I want to give the battery a boost.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:34 pm

Hmm, coincidence time, in a bad way. My BMW branded CTEK is flagging a fault having hooked it up last night. Never had issues before so a bit miffed.

Hoping it may be the extension lead so have gambled on ordering another one, it will be useful anyway. If it is the CTEK i think a call to Cotswold BMW will be in order.

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:37 am

Personally under bonnet is better as can just put my C-Tek and extension under there and just have the extension wire trailing into the garage.

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:52 am

I do the same but in reverse.

Both my chargers, one BMW branded are on CTEK wall brackets adjacent to a power source. A quick connect extension lead runs to the X6 in the boot where a CTEK traffic light socket is attached to the battery.

The other charger has an extension lead going outside, and is connected to whichever car via a quick connect lead again. All cars here have the semi permanent direct contact battery sockets.