Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

E53 In Car Entertainment - Mystery Object!!

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Stray Cat

E53 In Car Entertainment - Mystery Object!!

Post by Stray Cat » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:54 pm

Hi Guys
Can anyone identify this box? It's located directly below the CD changer unit in my (European) X5, on the left side in the boot/trunk.
I will be fitting a new Android head unit in due course and I want to remove anything thats no longer needed as the new unit has it all; SatNav, DVD, Bluetooth etc but I don't want to remove anything that is still needed.
Thanks

phpft45MJAM.jpg
phpft45MJAM.jpg (20.13 KiB) Viewed 1452 times
php48u3dUAM.jpg
php48u3dUAM.jpg (18.27 KiB) Viewed 1452 times
phpXNAAJPAM.jpg
phpXNAAJPAM.jpg (21.75 KiB) Viewed 1452 times

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: E53 In Car Entertainment - Mystery Object!!

Post by X5Sport » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:02 pm

Telematics Control Unit (TCU) I think. Also contains the Bluetooth transceiver (but not antenna) and connects cellular systems to the shark fin antenna. Boosts signals from phones connected to the car systems via the armrest adapter. If you can find the part number (7 or 11 digits on the module label) you can put it into something like RealOEM and that will confirm. Some models included a telematics function for data link to BMW and to allow position data to be sent to the emergency services in the event of a crash - and I think needed an active subscription from memory.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:43 am

X5 Sport is spot on, either Bluetooth/Telematics or in car Phone unit (is there a phone in the armrest?)

I put a Dynavin unit in my original X5 4.4 and sold the BMW stuff from the boot on the well known auction site. I managed to get back just about all my costs that way.

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:49 pm

As above, bluetooth module. Had to pull mine out to get the code required to paid the phone.