Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

SCR / Posh Leathers / KG & Raj Overhaul of the 4.8

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Re: SCR / Posh Leathers / KG & Raj Overhaul of the 4.8

Post by Raj » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:36 am

[quote="dirtymonkey29"]
I do like them wheels still
[/quote]

Lol me too. Definitely the best rims so far I've had on the X.

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:42 am

[quote="Sanj"]
Great bit of work mate. :ok:

How many evenings did that take in the end?
[/quote]

Cheers paaji.

Most of the time has been waiting for everything to turn up/come in to the dealer.

Total time was about 10 hours spread over 3 days so not bad.

Glad I ended up doing it myself as I was missing a part from BMW so turned up Saturday which meant if I had driven down South to Jason's I would have been a bit scuppered.

weirdfish

Post by weirdfish » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:34 am

[quote="Raj"]
[quote="weirdfish"]
You might want to get rid of that greasy paw print on your front spring mate,  :P
You will have fun with all the adj. when I had that kit on my Z3MCoupe I used to drive the same piece of road, a mixture of straights/twisters/bumps etc etc, and see how each adj changed the handling and ride, and finally got it just right, takes a while though.
It's good that you can adj these without having to remove anything, so you can just stop, adj, drive.
Good luck.
[/quote]

Just waiting for it to settle to get the levels just right before getting the alignment done. As for the compression/rebound, its only the rears that is a little more of a pain as the compression adjustment is still on the top so have to remove the trim, etc from boot floor to access. All other adjustments are straight forward though.
[/quote]
I remember that being a pain, to remove the trim on the coupe was about an hours work, so I ended up very neatly making 2 holes in the trim above the adjuster and covering with a nice little plastic cap, actually looked like it belonged there. I then made a tool long enough to reach through and adj. the shock.
Others fitted a different type of top mount, ( rogue ), so as the shock could be removed from underneath with just 2 bolts.

dark_stranger

Post by dark_stranger » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:17 pm

Raj, rather old thread, but can you remember how you got your wheel arms (don't know correct name) to drop enough to get the springs in place.  I have tried with spring clamps, but there isn't enough space to fit the spring. I have even tried loosening the piston.

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:26 am

[quote="dark_stranger"]
Raj, rather old thread, but can you remember how you got your wheel arms (don't know correct name) to drop enough to get the springs in place.  I have tried with spring clamps, but there isn't enough space to fit the spring. I have even tried loosening the piston.
[/quote]

Apologies for the late reply. I see from your thread you've managed to do it now.

I actually unbolt the lower H arm from the hub (remove the very long bolt going through the balljoint. It allows the arm to drop away to fit the new spring in and jack the arm back up into place to then push the bolt back through.

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:08 pm

Hard to believe this was back in 2011 when I had all this done and I've been through quite a few different alloy and brake combinations lol.

It's getting close to retiring the beast (well passing it on to a friend maybe) but ..... I always have a plan.

As she still stands:

Although she needs a bit of tidying up again if I was keeping her.

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:57 pm

So I went and did it. New addition in the form of the old :rofl:

Needs a bit of TLC as does the OG Beast but plenty happening over the next few weeks.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:24 pm

It’s so hard being a 3 BMW family. Which one to use today ... :P
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:07 pm

X5Sport wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:24 pm It’s so hard being a 3 BMW family. Which one to use today ... :P
:D Richard so true. Although the plan is to sell the old one once the new one has had its treatment.