Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Somebody stop me..

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Themoog2

Somebody stop me..

Post by Themoog2 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:33 pm

I’ve got an itch again. I get it every 6 months or so when I start looking at other vehicles... It’s 955 Porsche Cayennes again.
6 months ago I viewed and drove a turbo. It was ok but it didn’t feel as fast as what I imagined. My 4.4 felt nimble in comparison. That put me off them but I’ve been looking again and I have spotted a few. I’m going to see one tomorrow.
I had a 955 a few years back and at the time I loved it until the wife decided we needed an Audi cabriolet..
Anyway, someone stop me. My X5 fits me like a glove and I know it inside out. It’s due an mot on Friday and I don’t envisaged any problems.
Do I need a different car?

ttr

Re: Somebody stop me..

Post by ttr » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:52 pm

Eh up,

I looked at a VW Toureg ( same running gear as the Porsche I think ) , great car loads of kit and overall nice drive but my X5 beats it as a full package

Parts are easy to get, less issues with electronics full stop, more info on line to assist amateurs who want to keep expensive old metal on the road. :rofl:

I too would like the idea of a Porky but .....sometimes better the devil you know

Personal choice though - good luck in your decision making it’s never easy

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:54 pm

You don’t want an unreliable porker, second hand you’ll inherit all the previous owners problems, spend loads and get depressed. Wife will leave you and one of them meteors will hit your house. Like you said yourself "fits like a glove" So if the glove fits??

Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:21 pm

My X5 is 20 yrs old nearly. Starts and runs fine. Has no damage or rattles. I know I can get in it and drive anywhere. And it’s fully loaded with every option when it was new so anything I look at has to have the same creature comforts.
I like the old school chunky look - but I also like the curvy look of the Cayenne. I seem to remember my old Cayenne being a bit more ‘arm chair’ like in the driver seat and not as sporty car like an E53 is.
I need to see this one tomorrow to (probably) get it out of my system.
Talking of Touareg - my brother in law bought a 2010 tdi one last year and he rants and raves about how brilliant it is. I got in it to move it off our drive only to find it doesn’t even have power seats. Urgh! How common.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:31 pm

Congrats on the new purchase :rofl: lookin' is buying that's why I try not too look :driving:

Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:55 pm

Ah well.. I’ve just got back. It’s a good one - better condition than the one I had in fact. The problem was that the rain was flashing across horizontals and I was cold and annoyed with having to drive into London..
So I came away empty handed. If it sell it sells, I’m not that bothered but I’ll have a think later on.
The X5 still lives!

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:51 am

Sometimes a change is a good thing to refresh ones interest in motoring :wink:

My old E53 will be 20 yoa this year, it was sold to another member here and i flirted with buying it back when i was shopping for a vehicle to export to my home in Greece. Its a very accomplished car, on the black stuff.

You mentioned Touareg which is what i ultimately bought for export. Its ponderously slow in 2.5tdi guise but has other attributes, it is a genuine off-roader whereas the E53 can't really cope. Its very well thought out and nicely appointed too. I've never liked the Stuttgart brand but given the Cayenne shares much with the Touareg its a good off-road too i believe.

I have liked the 'Brakes My Wallet' brand for many years now but it is slightly embarrassing that a big 4X4 doesnt really have any off road ability.

This i liked and tbh sort of still regret selling it.
Screenshot_20190412-160713.jpg
Screenshot_20190412-160713.jpg (165.06 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
This i like for very different reasons, low range and diff lock options, its easily as well put together as an E53 of similar age.
20200526_195939.jpg
20200526_195939.jpg (176.42 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
My view is, as you have experience of the Cayenne and like it, buy it, or maybe a Touareg just to mix it up a bit. Mine has electric everything, which includes seats and seatbelts!

This i like because its just nice. Hopefully it may even get un-mothballed soon.
Screenshot_20190413-082038.png
Screenshot_20190413-082038.png (1.8 MiB) Viewed 1146 times
Last edited by sapphireblack on Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:45 am

I’ve looked at Touaregs - only 3.2v6’s as I won’t buy a diesel. Didn’t like them. That Cayenne got sold before I got home I think. Maybe I should have bought it?..
The X5 is in for mot tomorrow so when that’s done I’ll probably forget about other cars for 6 months or so.

Themoog2

Post by Themoog2 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:42 am

Well it passed its mot no problems so I’m in no hurry to swap. I spotted another Cayenne on autotrader. Keen price , private seller but I couldn’t be bothered to go and look. It’s black / black which is what I had before. If I got one again I’m not sure I want that colour combo again. I do like the silver / grey colour with the brown interior.. a bit retro but there are not many about.

ttr

Post by ttr » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:02 pm

Eh up,

It’s an “old skool “ thing, I like the tobacco brown leather of the BMW especially with a grey /dark blue exterior

Personal choice I guess

All mine are black leather interiors- best colour to keep clean and for wear

Keep the X5 it’s a great car