Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Evans waterless coolant

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
thomp1983

Evans waterless coolant

Post by thomp1983 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:13 am

Anyone ran Evans waterless coolant in their v8 x5? Considering it for my 4.4 given I've had the engine out of it the entire cooling system is empty so would be a good time to try it.

It appeals due to the fact it doesn't pressurise the system which given burst or leaking hoses is a known issue is a major plus.

Chris

Themoog2

Re: Evans waterless coolant

Post by Themoog2 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:49 am

Never used it but like you say if the engine is ready to go then why not? It has to be better with no pressure in the system.

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:37 am

As long as it has the same corrosion prevention as the OEM coolant then why not. I have read about it but never known anyone who has used it.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:58 am

Lots of positive comments about it on BMW Forums so it looks to be OK. The key seems to be that running the prep solutions through first is absolutely essential before then using the actual stuff. :thumbsup:

As you rightly say, not having high vapour pressure in a system (needed to stop water boiling) has to be a good thing.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:01 am

From what I have read the system will tend to run hotter with the waterless coolant and the standard rad and water pump. The question that comes to mind is the BMW Trans cooler uses the standard radiator to maintain transmission fluid temperature, will the higher operating temperature put the trans at risk as BMW use a heat exchanger attached to the bottom of the rad.

Transmission fluid operates better at lower temperatures 80 c every 4/5 deg above that can cause reduced fluid life which can have consequences.
When my 4.6 engine was rebuilt it was apparent that heat cycles some obviously above standard operating temps had caused many plastic engine parts to break down causing all sorts of catastrophic damage. Among all the parts replaced was the Radiator which was fitted with the BMW trans heat exchanger I also replaced the engine fan with an electric fan and cowl from a 4.8 to try and keep things cool
My transmission had been fitted with an external oil/trans cooler probably due to a fault with the OEM cooler in the Rad having an issue??
When ZF serviced the transmission temperatures were spot on with the external cooler at 80c so the external cooler is still there. Might be worth considering if running an engine at higher temperatures.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:09 pm

I saw in an American website (I think) that changing the stock thermostat for a lower temp one might help? Being petrol it doesn’t have evils such as us diesel owners have to accept now.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.