Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

car battery : Stick with Bosch vs go with Exide or Yuasa?

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
cooa99

car battery : Stick with Bosch vs go with Exide or Yuasa?

Post by cooa99 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:34 am

Hi all, my Bosch 019 AGM (I think its S5 A13 850amp CCA 95ah) battery barely lasted 2 yrs while the previous one managed 4yrs. Not sure how reliable the Bosch's are so may be considering something else.

Yuasa HSB019 Silver 12V Car SMF Battery (900amps CCA , 100ah ) from Halfords at £143
Exide AGM 019 Car AGM Battery (850amps CCA , 95ah ) from ECP at £282.

Should I go for the Yuasa? and does AGM vs SMF make a difference or stick with the Bosch?

I have come across 3 online websites selling batteries ( i.e. the Battery shop, Battery Megastore and tanya). Are they any good?

Thanks

marti

Re: car battery : Stick with Bosch vs go with Exide or Yuasa?

Post by marti » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:33 am

I've always used Bosch which have lasted many yrs, the one on my old e53 is still going strong after 7 years....I do remember a few years ago that BMW used Exide for their batteries and just had their livery stuck on them, the one on my old e38 lasted 11yrs.....not sure if they still use Exide

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:48 am

I switched from Bosch after reading about the high failure rate of their batteries a few years back and now use Yuasa. Exide also come out well, and it was price that made the decision for me last time - along with a 5-year warranty.

Tayna Batteries are very good and their prices are keen too. Customer support is excellent.

I’ve always used AGM type as that is what my cars have been equipped with from the factory. I know some E53s had conventional batteries with others having AGM. You’ll need to just check if an SMF type needs a different charging setup. It may not matter, but worth asking the question in case you inadvertently under/over charge the replacement.

AGM batteries don’t handle going flat very well as it shortens their lifespan. If kept topped up you should get 5+ years though. In these ‘challenging’ times I charge the X6 monthly as the car has done less than 700 miles in the last 12 months.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

cooa99

Post by cooa99 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:55 am

X5Sport wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:48 am
I’ve always used AGM type as that is what my cars have been equipped with from the factory. I know some E53s had conventional batteries with others having AGM. You’ll need to just check if an SMF type needs a different charging setup. It may not matter, but worth asking the question in case you inadvertently under/over charge the replacement.
How do I check about the charging setup? I am tempted at £113 (from tanya) to stick this in. I am not sure what my 3.0 d came with from the factory till I started using Bosch

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:11 am

Just checked and SMF just means it’s sealed, maintenance free so not relevant. All of our BMWs use AGM type SMF batteries - typically ‘gel’. The other type are VRLA (vented, Lead Acid) - typically ‘wet’. In the old days if you knocked a wet battery over, it leaked. Gel batteries don’t leak if you tip them accidentally.

Chances are the OEM fitting was AGM. It’s more relevant to the later models than the E53 fitted with the Intelligent Battery System. The E53 us plug and play, no blasted coding!

cooa99

Post by cooa99 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:13 pm

Great thanks all.

Yuasa YBX5019 ordered from Tayna for £114.

I have a CTEK MX7 which I normally connect to the the positive and negative posts in the engine bay using the alligator clips. Which of the these 2 cables should I attach for permanent connection.
Attachments
IMG_0855.jpg
IMG_0855.jpg (156.09 KiB) Viewed 15870 times

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:10 pm

The lead with eyelet rings can be attached directly to the battery, or the under bonnet jump points but could need bigger rings or even another connection type.

cooa99

Post by cooa99 » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:09 pm

I thought you are not meant to charge the x5 directly from the battery itself?

Here is the +ve post under the hood. Only way it will work with the eyelet is to unscrew and put behind the large nut
Attachments
IMG_0856.jpg
IMG_0856.jpg (126.91 KiB) Viewed 15855 times

sapphireblack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by sapphireblack » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:23 pm

CTEK are self regulating so take care of everything.

Main dealer fitted my 'traffic light' CTEK Indicator lead when they replaced the battery,

Depending where you make the connection, the eyelet rings on the CTEK leads are either 8 or 10mm for direct battery connection, you may need larger diameters for a different attachment.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:50 pm

I have the 8mm (fused) eyelet version connected to the under bonnet of both the X6 and 3 series. It’s the upper one in your piccie. I just undid the two nuts (+ve & -ve) jumper points and put the eyelets below and did everything up tightly. Been like that for years and work just fine. :thumbsup:

Edited - I use this version: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B ... UTF8&psc=1
Last edited by X5Sport on Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leslie
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Leslie » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:24 pm

Fit the one with the fuse in it would seem more sensible although neither eyelets look big enough , I'm sure they do a correct lead :D Id buy the battery with the longest warranty but 2 years seems a very poor life for a battery unless its went flat quite a bit ?

cooa99

Post by cooa99 » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:01 pm

Thanks,

I'll use the one with the fuse.