Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Mileage

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Mileage

Post by henrym3 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:01 pm

Clocking it up atm with twice a month trips to N Ireland. Dear old mum is in hospital and only allowed one family member per week for 1 hour. Brother comes from Dublin one week me the next. All this because of COVID. Crap really. Thinking of going in the Alpina this weekend to make a final decision whether to sell it or not.

StuBeeDoo

Re: Mileage

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:48 am

I have a feeling that I'm going to be racking-up the miles from now on, too, for a similar reason. Mother's health is failing, and she's 300 miles away. She's back at home, for now, but has been in and out of hospital for the last 13 months. By the time I've finished running around for her the round trip is usually nearer 700 miles. I did the trip 3 times last year (before and between lockdowns). I was down there Easter week, and already planning on going again before the end of next month. Overall average MPG of 40 makes it a little less painful.......
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:01 pm

Same thing for me I think. Not the same distance, but still 200 mile round trip and probably monthly.

My Dad has just been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s (we’ve known something was wrong for at least 4 years!) and Mum has mobility issues. Annoyingly my parents have moved further away despite pleas from brother and self for them to move to somewhere that we (relatively) easily provide support. There’s no right answer I know as they have to live where they want to rather than where is convenient. They didn’t want to be ‘a burden’ however their move a couple of months back means they now are just that. The F46 will have some miles to do methinks. At almost 50mpg it’s fine. It’s the time it takes, and having the outlaws 300 miles away in Wales will probably add to the mix, so I can empathise with you in that score.

It would be quicker to get my pilots licence and fly to Aberporth than the 6-7 hour drive.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

StuBeeDoo

Post by StuBeeDoo » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:34 pm

X5Sport wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:01 pm my parents have moved further away despite pleas from brother and self for them to move to somewhere that we (relatively) easily provide support. There’s no right answer I know as they have to live where they want to rather than where is convenient.
My family is the reverse. I moved away from my home town in '86 and moved around a fair bit before settling in the North East in 2002. At that time, Mother was still in good health, and enjoyed travelling, so it was never a problem. My brother moved about 150 miles from her around '03. We both suggested that she moved somewhere nearer either one of us, while she was still capable, but she always had some excuse or other. Now her health has deteriorated to the point where moving would be too much for her.
She's at the point where the care she gets is palliative, and the next time she needs care that can't be administered at home, she'll have to be admitted to the local hospice, because she flatly refuses to be taken to hospital anymore.

Anyway, to get back to mileage. My F25 has been coming down nicely from an average of 13100/year when I bought it nearly 3 years ago to around 11700/year now. My personal average in the car, thus far, has been 9300/year. The way things are going this year will see it going back up again.
October 2012 build X3 30d SE, Bluewater.  Now with Webasto sunroof and paddle-shift   8)