Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

phew a nasty noise that isnt too bad

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
jas328sport

Post by jas328sport » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:24 pm

developed a nasty knocking sound from the front over the last week, spoke to my local indie that does all of my work and he had a quick look under the n/s where the sound appears to be coming from and couldnt find anything so suggested it is probably the anti roll bar bushes.
over the past week i swear it has got worse and a quick look under the o/s yesterday and i could see the the cv boot had split which wouldnt be too much of an urgent concern other than i am driving to the isle of wight on hols tomorrow, quickly popped down indies again and he said to drop it off this morning and he will replace boot and look for cause of knocking, just picked car up with a new cv boot fitted and new brake pads as they were almost metal to metal and he was amazed that the warning light hadnt come on, cause of knocking was indeed anti roll bar bushes and are on order to be replaced when i get back from hols next weekend as he said that they are not too bad and that it is fine to drive.
pads were a bit of a shock as it has only done approx 3.5k since main dealer inspection 2 and 3k since its mot and neither mentioned that the pads were getting low.
total fitted price for the cv boot and new pads was £123.50 which i think was pretty fair.

ITBarbie

Re: phew a nasty noise that isnt too bad

Post by ITBarbie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:57 pm

HI

Thats a good price. I had the same thing (CV) sort of with the drop links. My price was not as good as yours though :x

http://www.xdrivers.co.uk/forum/viewtop ... f=21&t=224
2004 Sapphire Black 3.0d SE
MODS
Intravee with KCA, Xennons, Folding Mirrors (enabled with Intravee), Sport Wheels 19's, DVD Headrests, updated SAT NAV, Voice Recognititon with TV in Motion enabled with Resler a

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:26 pm

Good price mate, not looking forward to the day I have to put discs and pads on mine! Pretty expensive parts for the 4.8 I think?

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black