Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Pics of Roof Box

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Pics of Roof Box

Post by CondorX5 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:44 pm

It was a beautiful afternoon when I arrived back in the South East for the last few weeks of my contract here and I've accumulated so much stuff that I bought a roof box.....local Halfrauds were having a sale, bought this one for 50% off usual price. Mounted it on Mont Blanc bars which I had bought off ebay some time ago. The box is very shiny piano black and looks surprisingly good on the X....it has quick-fit easy fasteners and takes loads of stuff....but being rather short I need a ladder to load and unload and for fitting!!! It was superb on the road - the big 4.8 is returning a fuel usage of 22.9-23.4 mpg with the box mounted, fully loaded for 150 miles, unloaded for the return trip......so very very little impact on the fuel consumption.

Here's a view from the side,showing the box and bars: the wind noise was no problem except on very long, straight stretches of road when an odd, musical whistling occurred for a short period (seconds) now and then, especially in the windy areas, and if my speed crept up a bit high.....will look to sealing any gaps under the bars (there are slides cut in the underside of the bars for adjustment). This pic also shows the demountable towhitch in situ - I've bought a Lynton Loadtrekker trailer which will be delivered later this week, and as I've never used one of these hitches before (had one fitted to my 3.0i but never even plugged it in before part-exing for the 4.8 :) ), I thought I would give it a go and make sure it all worked before the trailer arrived. With AUC checks being of dubious quality these days, I wasn't taking any chances. No worries, though - both keys present, both lock caps, the plug for the bar when the hitch is demounted, the electrics plug, and even a BMW towball cover was all stashed in the rear. Towbar itself looks like its never been used. Pity it wasn't in place when we were shunted last week!!! PS there are no starnge marks on the side of the X, its just the reflection fro the silver baby Merc standing alongside it, glinting against the sun...

Here's close up of the hitch in situ for any new X5 owners who have never seen it in use.... :D it took a bit of puzzling out and some online research on Westfalia's website to work out how to attach it... :rofl: : Now that its there it can stay attached till I've moved back home!! :driving: I love this car, it's a blast to drive.... :D

X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.