Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Re-Map Question & Hello from old x5drivers member

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
jonamv8

Re-Map Question & Hello from old x5drivers member

Post by jonamv8 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:38 pm

Howdy folks,

Noticed a few weeks back that x5drivers had gone, although I wasn't a major poster I found it really useful and posted on a few occassions - I was jonc4s on their and had my 911 C4S and Estoril Blue X5 in my signature pic to anyone who may recall. Well the C4S has gone now, picking up an Aston V8 Vantage this weekend but still have the trusty X5 which continues to impress me!

I wonder if anyone can help with a question I have? I have a car which is re-mapped but it's still covered under BMW warranty... I'm thinking of taking the car in to BMW as I have a couple of niggles with it but I wanted to understand whether BMW could actually tell the date/time a remap had been made to the ECU or whether they could just tell that it HAD been remapped but not know exactly when it happened? I work in IT so I expect it is timestamped but any clarification would be appreciated.

The car has been in before for Warranty work and they have not 'noticed' the new map but with the current issue I have a feeling they may notice. I have driven normal X5's and remapped X5's (diesels only) and the difference is quite obvious...

Any advice/feedback appreciate and good to see you guys have got this forum back up and running

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Re-Map Question & Hello from old x5drivers member

Post by Chompers » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:50 pm

Hi Jon, firstly good to see you back on here, remember you from the old site. Secondly what sort of warranty issues are you looking to get sorted? unless they are engine related it is unlikely the dealer will spot the remap unless the tech gives it a blast up the road and even then it would be unlikely for him to investigate. Who did the remap? I'm sure they would be able to advise.

Thirdly, congrats on the purchase of the AMV8, pics are a most after you collect it :thumbsup:
Current
09/59 e61 520d MSport Touring Business ED - Platinum Grey / Cream Beige Leather
Previous
06/06 e53 X5 4.4i V8 Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Nappa Leather

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:57 pm

We discussed the ability to discover a remap after a number of cars were done by Jason at the last meet. Unless you have an ECU related issue or for that matter a chip added/ECU swap out they shouldn't find out. To be sure, drop Jason a PM and tell him what issue you are having investigated. He should be able to tell you for sure.
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:07 pm

Let's face it most of the dealers don't know there arse from there elbow when it comes to these cars(not all i might add) they just plug it into the computer and'computer says no' :roll:
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:27 pm

Personally I wouldnt want to draw attention to BMWUK that the car was remapped. You may after all draw attention to a matter prior undetected by them & thus give them ammo to not settle a potential future warranty claim.

To find out more maybe write to the last keeper on V5 or if owners prior to that maybe do some detective work using old invoices if you have them.

Failing that maybe speak to or PM Jason from B&W &/or maybe other remap service providers. Some may be more helpful or even able than others.

A final thought is if you shortlist the main remap service providers & furnish your reg numner or prior assigned reg numbers thay may be able to execute searches on invoice sytems to see if any work has been done & how stealth it is or isn't in terms of visibility by main dealer(s).
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

535dboy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 535dboy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:08 am

I wouldn't worry too much.

Depending how it was done it should be untraceable.

The dealer are going to get paid anyway so why should they really care if BMW pay or you pay - why upset the apple cart with a customer.

I had a few niggling EML issues with my 535d towards the end of its life and they never detected (or told me they had) the DMS Map

The main way they will be able to tell is driving it but then again they should't be driving it like a loon to really notice.

Good luck on the Aston - lovely sounding car. I have a friend with a coupe and our senior partner the convertible. Put pics up anyway
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)
2015 Nissan Leaf twin turbo with Nitros

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport

jonamv8

Post by jonamv8 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:47 pm

Hi Guys - Thanks for your replies,

Chompers - Thanks for the warm welcome - My car seems to be kicking out some black smoke on heavy acceleration and also on drop down it seems to bang and I feel a kick from the rear, apologies if the explanation is a bit weak! Those are my main two concerns with the car which I'd like to be looked at under warranty. I think given my explanation a tech is going to want to take it up and down the road and may spot the re-map. Jason @ B&W did the work not too long ago.

Sanj - Thanks for the feedback I had a chat before with Jason about them being able to see a remap, I just wanted to understand whether it was timestamped. In other words, BMW come back and say the cars been re-mapped, could I say that it wasn't done by me!!?

I will PM Jason and ask about the timestamp and get some shots of the Aston up once collected.

Cheers guys

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:44 pm

He'll drop your original remap in if you want total peace of mind and then put the remapped file back on after any warranty work is completed. I can't answer the time stamp question - I'd guess there would be one though (just a guess though).
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

jason@bwchiptune

Post by jason@bwchiptune » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:48 am

jonc4s drop the car in and i will put it back to standard for you while you wait,
after they have done what they need to do,bring it back and i will put the remap back on

ps they can not see the with the diagnostics,but like you said if you drive it then you can tell straight away

so what did you think of the remap?
PERFORMANCE TUNING REMAPS,DIAGNOSTICS,SERVICE & REPAIRS
TUNING DEALERS ACROSS THE UK
DYNO DYNAMICS ROLLING ROAD
http://www.bwchiptune.co.uk
http://www.bwautorepairs.co.uk

jonamv8

Post by jonamv8 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:50 pm

Hello Jason. Thanks for the offer the problem I have is finding the time to get back down to you right now.

If I was to take it in, them drive it and clock that it had been mapped, could they specify the map has been upgraded during my ownership though, ie timestamped?

What did I think of the remap - I love it, different car. To be honest, if it had to go back to how it was I'd sell it. I'm getting a consistent 34.8mpg at the moment and I can assure you that I am not shy with the right foot. Everyone that travels in it comments on the speed of acceleration, it's unexpected for such a big vehicle. To anyone thinking of it, I'd say do it!!