Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replacing front brakes on X53

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Replacing front brakes on X53

Post by pvr » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:04 am

I put Axxis on my X5, dust reduction was at least 90% compared to OEM (i.e. you can drive a week with the car with no visible trace of dust).

In the beginning, they squealed when cold, but they don't do that now anymore. Have not noticed any degredation in performance at all.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:26 pm

[quote=""semtex""]Sanj,

Which make pads did you get ?

cheers

Rich[/quote]

Rich,

I'll take a look at the receipt tomorrow mate and let you know. Sorry, been a busy boy today...
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:47 pm

Come on Sanj, get your priorities right 8-)

911 50th anniversary -

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:49 pm

I did bud - 10 year anniversary today. Cried all day in my little corner! :D
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:56 pm

20 years for me next week, must hobble to a shop soon :)

911 50th anniversary -

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:11 pm

[quote=""semtex""]Sanj,

Which make pads did you get ?

cheers

Rich[/quote]

Rich,

Just checked and they were Textar from German and Swedish...

semtex

Post by semtex » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:15 am

Thanks,

I'll go with the Textar ones then I think.

Rich

semtex

Post by semtex » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:59 am

Ok, so I took the plunge and did it myself.

I got a pair of Zimmerman Coat-Z discs and a set Textar pads and a new sensor from GSF for £180

Took me about 4 hours to change them over, wasn't rushing and I think Geoff Capes must have worked at the garage that did the bolts up last time as it took me a while to get some of them off the caliper carrier.

Now for the one question I have.

My front sensor is on the passenger side of the car. On the new sensor cable there is a retaining hole that looks like it should be attched to the caliper as it bends round to go up behind the disc shield. Now looking on line it would appear that this is suppose to sit under the brake fluid bleed nub to hold the cable up and out of the way.

But on my passenger side caliper there is no bleed nub, there is only one on the drivers side.

When I took the old senser off the cable was not fixed to the caliper so I can only assume this is somthing BMW have added to later model cars. There is however a hole in the passenger side caliper that looks like it is just in the right place to take a screw to hold the cable in place. Anyone have any idea what screw I would be able to use if it is for this purpose.

I didn't take any pics but this is a pic from the guide I followed to do the work. This is from a US spec car. But you will see what I mean about the retention of the sensor cable.

X MAN

Post by X MAN » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:49 am

BMW`s genuine pads are Jurid 187 pads on the front and Textar T4001 pads on the rears .
05 X5 3.0d
Mods:H/s wheel.F/mirrors.Lumbar.Compass-remote r/v mirror.Rem ctrl.Bins holder.T90 Telestart.20"168's.Arches.Titan grills.Skid plate. P/O load floor.R/seat e/b/rest.R/blinds.H/rear seats.is r/bumper trim.chrome dials.car key mem.intravee.DSP.RV Cam.Dbl glazing.Ski bag,Rear blower

jeegnesh

Post by jeegnesh » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:10 am

got mine from http://c3bmw.co.uk/Page.asp?CategoryID=204 all OE parts without BMW branding
Mods: H Steering, Towbar, Wide Arches, Inforad K2, HIDS, Heated Seats, PS2 Media Center, x555 Sub Box (Focal), Rear Fake Tins, RV Cam, Screen Protect, Front Tints, 168 20's, Re-Map, Black Roundels, De-badge, BSW Dash Mids, Tweeter & Xover, Rear Screens, Intravee

ice climber

Post by ice climber » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:51 pm

I do believe that the OE disc are by Brembo with Jurid pads. Discs are available from Ebay ( and shipped direct from Brembo) for around £100 delivered.
Current
Preface 3.0 Sport

Have beens
Too many to list!

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:21 pm

Semtex, I see parts sourced,however, discussion continued as others may later want info re pads/discs. Apologies for late input - I have been very busy.

Ice climber - Thanks for the Brembo buying info.

I did research on this before & from what I could find, (source of info - hearsay postings on xoutpost),the front and rear OE discs are made by Brembo. When I was looking to change my discs I couldnt find non upgrade Brembo discs in the UK.

In the end I bought discs from C3BMW, however, not overly impressed as they supplies a brand other than what they offered other the phone, (allegedly not first time they have supplied other brands of kit). Supliesd discs do the job fine but I had to paint the centre non friction surfaces with silver hammerite to stop early surface corossion being visible. I think the BMW part number items ae zinc covered to prevent corosion though I cant recall where I read or heard this. Motormec supply Jurid & Texstar brake parts fwiw.

Pad wise Jurid or Texstar would be fine. I imported Axxis deluxe from Canada & on back of positive comments on xoputpost at the time. Great for low dust but mine are groan & are a little noisy when creeping the car o the brakes when wet & cold. I might go Jurid/Texstar next time of try Axxis XBG. More info on Axxis choices this clicky

It would be useful/appreciated Can folk claiming OE spec please qualify the sourse of reference so as to assure folk of accuracy of info & ideally allow us to have definitive info we can all rely on.................Thanks to all for inputs thus far. ;)

Semtex- Sorry cant help re the technical query - whilst helped change the X5 discs & changed the Z3 rear pads myself I got someone else to change the X5 pads & though I watched my memory of same isn't that good. :oops:
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:56 pm

That sensor just slides into the pad only, fixed by the brass horse shoe shaped clip that holds it into place.

911 50th anniversary -

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:02 pm

Like this (different BMW I worked on):

Which clips in here:

And that rubber circle is held into place by a rubber tie, no screws.

911 50th anniversary -

semtex

Post by semtex » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:58 pm

PVR thanks for the info.

The sensor I took off did not have the rubber circle, but the new one I put on has got it but I could work out where to put it.

I'll see if I get time to take the wheel off at the weekend and see if I can find something to attach it to.

AW8

The Zimmerman Coat-Z disc I bought are pre-coated so they do not rust on the non friction surface. It's a light grey colour. I'll see if I can sort some pics out.

http://www.otto-zimmermann.de/index.php ... Itemid=136