Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Buying an E53 3.0D...

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
drb5

Buying an E53 3.0D...

Post by drb5 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:18 pm

Hello all!

First post here and of course it has to be a question. ;)

In regards to options, how big a deal is satnav/comms in a 2004 3.0d? I'm looking at around 3 different vehicles and two of them don't have many options fitted to them. Trouble is, one of those cars is about 200 miles closer to myself and although i'm not really bothered about having the "extras", i know when it comes to selling motors on, the more toys you have the easier it will be, but when it comes to say another 2 years down the line....is it really going to be that big an issue? Are prices a fair bit higher usually for X5's with more bits fitted at that sort of age?

Sorry if i've rambled on a bit. :)
2004 Sapphire Black 3.0d Sport Auto, 168 style 20's, silver 4.8IS grille, tinted back windows, black leather with titanium trim, sat nav, PS2 media center with hard drive, TV's in headrests, TV in motion, Dice Silverline and a few others toys!

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Buying an E53 3.0D...

Post by Sanj » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:34 pm

Hi and Welcome,

Don't forget to post in the Introduce Yourself section...

You have covered most bases - resale will be an issue as it won't be so appealing, but the price will reflect that then and now. Hence why you're tempted.

Check this Buyers Guide by AW8, it's invaluable

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25

Comms always good to have, even if it is shockingly out-of-date now.
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

bullethead

Post by bullethead » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:44 pm

If you've never had the toys you won't miss them but once you find out what you could of had you'll punish yourself for not getting the most toys for your money.

lizzie

Post by lizzie » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:11 pm

[quote=""bullethead""]If you've never had the toys you won't miss them but once you find out what you could of had you'll punish yourself for not getting the most toys for your money.[/quote]
Totally agree I went through the do I need all these extras or not but they do make the car a more enjoyable experience. Alot of people tried to put me off having the sunroof but I love it and no problems :)

slieverue

Post by slieverue » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:03 pm

Most people have covered all the bases, but for my tupence worth, I would say get as many of the sensible extras that you can (or want to) afford.

IMO these would include

Heated Seats (was really surprised at how many E53's do not have them)
Comms Pack - the Sat Nav is not the best on the market but still okay. But the Bluetooth phone functionality is pretty good - again a must for driving in the UK these days
Xenons - they really make such a difference, again really surprised at how few seem to have them. Be careful with these as people are advertising their car as having them fitted but in fact have just copied and pasted another advert with a higher spec of car. If you're not sure what you're looking for, OEM Xenons will not have a headlight adjust switch (just to the right of the dashboard dimmer switch).
Heated steering wheel - I love it, but that's a personal preference.
Privacy glass - really finishes a car off (IMO)

Basically, having a car like this with the toys is part of the fun.

The only real problem is that you get used to them very quickly and it can be expensive when you buy your next car!!! :roll:

Good luck buying......
Current:
57 Reg 3.0D SE Monaco Blue

Previous:
06 Reg 3.0D Le Mans with Pano Roof
56 Reg 3.0D Sport
54 Reg 3.0D Sport

drb5

Post by drb5 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:05 pm

Very many thanks guys!

Currently trying to find out as much about the one with the toys, as possible. As it's a distance away, it's worth me trying to check out at least a couple different motors, while i'm down South though...unless the first one is definately buyable. :evil:
2004 Sapphire Black 3.0d Sport Auto, 168 style 20's, silver 4.8IS grille, tinted back windows, black leather with titanium trim, sat nav, PS2 media center with hard drive, TV's in headrests, TV in motion, Dice Silverline and a few others toys!

slieverue

Post by slieverue » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:01 pm

DRB5

Feel free to send me the link of the car you're looking at if you want someone else to cast an eye over it.

Cheers

Tony
Current:
57 Reg 3.0D SE Monaco Blue

Previous:
06 Reg 3.0D Le Mans with Pano Roof
56 Reg 3.0D Sport
54 Reg 3.0D Sport

drb5

Post by drb5 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:41 pm

PM sent thanks Tony. :)

Got some service info on the X5 with all the toys...
Oil and filter at 17k and inspection 1 at 32k both done by Bluebell BMW. There's a stamp at 52k and MENT to have a stamp for a service at 79k(there's a receipt to back this up), but isn't that a rather large gap between services?

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:25 pm

I would agree with the gaps being a bit to far apart as the vehicle has go older. Must have been at least an oil change between 52 and 79. Who did the last services? and have you contacted your local BMW dealer to confirm any of the service records stamped? I see Tony has offered assistance to look at the spec of the 'X' you are looking at but well worth posting a link on the open forum as there are lots of very knowelegable guys and girls here that may be able to add to the info you already have.
Current
09/59 e61 520d MSport Touring Business ED - Platinum Grey / Cream Beige Leather
Previous
06/06 e53 X5 4.4i V8 Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Nappa Leather

drb5

Post by drb5 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:42 pm

Haven't got all the details, as i was struggling with reception tbh, but here is the car...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

Called Bluebell BMW and they only have a record for the first two visits.

Chompers
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Chompers » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:51 pm

Think I'd be having a look at the headlight mountings to make sure they are not broken as it has clearly had a whack on that n/s corner, could be expensive if as the ad states the cars has Xenon's. Spec looks good, heated seats + nav. Would also check that the roof is fully working (not sure if its got the twin section pano roof or std) could Bluebell confirm if another dealer had seen the car in the past?
Current
09/59 e61 520d MSport Touring Business ED - Platinum Grey / Cream Beige Leather
Previous
06/06 e53 X5 4.4i V8 Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Nappa Leather

drb5

Post by drb5 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:15 am

All they could tell me was of the 2 times they had seen it.

Don't mind the damage as i'm a panel beater by trade but yes i never thought of the headlight being damaged...

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:40 pm

First & foremost I must say that I have not seen the car..........It may be a gem with a small mark & a prior keeper may have forgotten to get the book stamped, however, I would comment as follows :

Re dealer visit checks unless you have a dealer contact It can be a bit hit & miss calling dealers first. IMO the easiset thing to do is to call BMW UK customer services premium number, (I think details are in my buyers guide- if not then look at the bmw uk website under customer service), to get info on all dealer visits & dates, then call dealers to find more info.

Obviously HPI or suitable similar check would be a must if still happy after the above,(I think RAC checks cover same as HPI but are cheaper).

Ideally prior to calling it would make sense to ask seller to give specific stamp details to cover Inspection type, dealer name & mileage & date for each.

The terminology in the listing that refers to a slight mark to the bumper would concern me.

Nothing wrong with buying any car needing work as long as it's crystal clear what you are buying & cost of car plus work doesnt exceed what you'd get for it.

Looking at sellers past transactions he/she is not a total stranger to vehicle related listings. The listing doesnt scream private sale with seller name & address on V5 but I may be wrong of course.

Is it a business or private sale ?

How did seller accquire the car ?

Has a quote been given for the work to the nearside front & if so any reason why not sorted prior to sale ?

Any undisclosed defects ?

Any other known damage or body repair(s) ?

How many keys are present ?

Is seller happy to disclose last keepers details from the V5 - (if not then maybe seek an explanation IF not declaring self as a genuine trader) ?

If you get them call last keeper via directory enquiries or even send a short letter with your email & mobile - it will get there next day 1st class......(a £5 M&S gift card might work wonders).

Is any professional Inspection welcomed ?

How does he know it drives like new, (It may be a fine car but I doubt it will drive like new with @ an indicated 87k unless its had a recent suspension & bush overhaul..........thus such a statement causes me to raise an eyebrow) ?

Not for one minute saying its been clocked but bear in mind many dismiss checking for clocking on cars that are advertised with higher than average miles per year. (I've seen scruffy cars advertised with 60k miles with compressed drivers seats & a 1 owner car with over 120k that looked mint inside & out).

Developing the history again & to help check mileage - Has it got all old MOT's, (if Yes then cross check detiails with other date & mileage references before paying for the HPI check) ?

A dodgy seller will either talk bullshit or simply wont entertain such questions. Many will talk of wanting a no nonsense quick sale, suggest you are a timewaster or perhaps say someone else wants trhe car. ...Whatever the case IMO it's better to waste their time than to waste your time & money. The car you are disussing isnt being offered as a £200 bargain banger & thus you hav every reason to ask sensible Q's.

If you know your bodywork you will know all about panel gaps, loose trim, mismatches, overspray, parts with date stamp discrepancies, missing stickers, recent rivets etc, signs of airbag activation, etc etc.

OH & fwiw if it bothers you the seller can't spell properly or cant be bothered to. (My excuse is that at times I speed type - & at times badly :oops: ), however mistakes in a short & non detailed advert may set alarm bells ringing for some.

As with any listing on ebay its good to chat on the phone, however, if right noises maade then get seller to commit to what they say by ebay contact messaging. You can summarise phone call by message & simply ask them to confirm Yes No if they agree with accuracy..........this way you have things on record if things turn bad later.

Good Luck & let us know how you get on.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

drb5

Post by drb5 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:15 pm

Top reply and you summed up everything perfectly....so much so you just pretty much set my mind up to what i was already thinking!

I had been considering viewing this car as my first of at least two, but i'm going to pass this one at least until i view my other (most likely) option.

I know i could hold out for a vehicle with more toys fitted but i'd much rather buy a genuine standard car then with with bits that i can't trust.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/ca ... 5367130368

Tax is out and only the current MOT is present, but a FSH and a check on VOSA for previous MOT's make the car check out and being at a favourable price i'll be going down early Saturday morning in the hopes it looks genuine and a deal to be done. If it works out, i should be able to take the car away that day. :)

I will be travelling by the black one on my way to the silver one, but as the PO shuts early on a Saturday, i want to at least give myself enough time to get it taxed if it works out.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:08 pm

Photos present a car that looks nice & original panel/paint intergrity down to the viewing day.

Comments on advert /spec.................The non caps lock text seems to be a prefilled description listing standard spec, ( the mention of isofix a clue as is the cloth trim - obviously incorrect as car has leather). As for the pics the car is absent of comms pack. Not a problem buying one without but traders selling a non comms car for close to comms money is an easy way to grab a larger sales margin. Trade used to deduct 2k MIN for abscence of comms, so bear that figure in mind when comparing cars.

I note the car seems absent of heated seats. Not the end of the world but ask yourself if you want a car with them. Lack of same is only thing I miss but I bought on integrity of my car not just spec.

The Caps lock text mentions Leather - whilst an option again Glases expects leather as well as comms or deducts for abscence of same so look at leather ( & comms), as being required to make standard book price not something that adds to it. The rear spoiler is standard kit as are the alloys on that year - they are not upgrades in style or size. Side steps are were an option PDC was standard. The normal text is as I say the std spec. Parkers online will show you the std spec for year by year though dont use it for values.

Re comms pack others have bought cars absent of same only to return asking how much to fit it retrospectively. Reckon on 1k min if taking time sourcing bits from ebay plus potential hassle. Ironicaly unless digital TV tuner kit that aspect of kit is likely to be redundant once alll local terrestrial plugs pulled.

Glad my earlier ramblings of some use.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.