Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Buying an E53 3.0D...

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Buying an E53 3.0D...

Post by Sanj » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:42 pm

Happy to help if you need - just shout! :thumbsup:
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

drb5

Post by drb5 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:25 pm

Very happy with all your help guys, thanks for it all. :)

When i press menu on the sat nav monitor, i only have aux ventilation, GPS sat nav and computer.

It would have been good to have the DVD play through the sat nav monitor too, but i expect that's quite expensive to do. The monitors are Sony items and i have a Sony remote control for them. No receipts for the work, so it's a bit of a guessing game ATM.

Is the DVD changer purely for playing sat nav DVD's?

Seen the replacment sat nav unit on Xoutpost....maybe that's an option for hooking everything up together...
2004 Sapphire Black 3.0d Sport Auto, 168 style 20's, silver 4.8IS grille, tinted back windows, black leather with titanium trim, sat nav, PS2 media center with hard drive, TV's in headrests, TV in motion, Dice Silverline and a few others toys!

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:10 pm

If your satnav takes DVDs, then its the Mk4 unit rather than the MK3 which only takes CDs. Its only for the satnav DVD though, not for playing other DVDs. I'm guessing if you've got the monitor, then plugging in the TV unit in the rear would just be plug and play as the plugs should be in the wiring loom, and will then give you the option to select AV. Even an old analogue TV unit would give the AV function and you may get one of those cheap as they become available when people buy the massively overpriced digital TV unit to replace it. If you take some close up pics and post them on here, Sanj and Co may be able to identify the kit and help you out with getting the audio working. :D
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

drb5

Post by drb5 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:36 pm

Sounds good...if it works. :) Would i not need to get the dealer to program it or something?

How cheap would you reckon they will get too? Seen this, but not sure if that's still too expensive?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-BMW-16-9- ... 2a09ef91de

Will defo get some pictures up. :thumbsup:
2004 Sapphire Black 3.0d Sport Auto, 168 style 20's, silver 4.8IS grille, tinted back windows, black leather with titanium trim, sat nav, PS2 media center with hard drive, TV's in headrests, TV in motion, Dice Silverline and a few others toys!

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:06 pm

As PM chat : If wanting a BMW to watch tv channels then IMO it's a waste of time to buy an analogue tuner as signal being switched off - you should go digital............Not cheap though & crap signal on the move if you want tv in motion for passenger(s). In motion can be done with a cable or coding with specific kit some indies and owners have bought.

You can by a cheap enough single disc remote 12v DVD player & plmb it in or maybe go for an old PS2 for games and movies.

Others know far more htan me so I will shut up for now, (other than to remind you to call dealer for spec list if not already done ;) )

Read above as "Listen to Sanj & Co" ;)
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:17 pm

That's the TV Module - you can tell by the blue and white connectors on the side. Don't rush to buy it until you get into the car and dig out the connectors - make sure the loom is all present. No point otherwise, but it should be there.

Once found you can connect a TV Module to it. But that will give you just the AV channel, now you need to be able to feed the screen/PS2 source to the front screen too. This cable is handy to do that, fits inline with the white connector (I think).

http://www.toysinyourcar.com/acatalog/bmw_av.html

It has video and audio input connectors. That should see you straight, but find those connectors and see what else you find in the boot. This unit would be under the boot floor, under the spare and under the plastic BMW embossed cover around the battery. Take a couple of photos if you need further assistance.
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

drb5

Post by drb5 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:21 pm

Here's hoping this works...

drb5

Post by drb5 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:21 pm

drb5

Post by drb5 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:22 pm

drb5

Post by drb5 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:32 pm

Took the spare wheel out and the black thing underneath that, but there was no out-of-the-ordinary wiring in there.

If one of those Dynavin headunits would work ok(or something similar), i may have went that way, as an all in one solution.

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:34 pm

Hmmm, Sanj and Co are the boffins on this, but it looks very much to me as if your X has had a professional looking installation of a PS2 ......this is likely to play DVDs directly via the PS2 through the head rest monitors.....I'd give it a try.......also try a PS2 game or two if you have any! The sony unit in one of the photos is def a PS2 slimline unless my eyes are playing tricks on me :D

No sign of the TV unit, although the satnav seems to be the Mk4 Unit, which is a good thing! :roll:

Try playing a DVD or a PS2 game via the PS2 unit in the rear - the headphones are likely to work once the unit is working as well,,,,,,,,then report back to us!!! :D

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

drb5

Post by drb5 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:37 pm

Thanks mate. :)

DVD was tried in the PS2 and comes on the headrest screens, but didn't get a chance to try the headset as no batteries atm. Sound never came through the car though, so was completely silent.

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:46 pm

I bet the headphones will give you sound for the screens, it seems a shame though, that the system isn't connected to the car's speakers or front screen - this would have been an add-on system, as BMW never had a headrest screen option then and didn't install PS2s in their cars, :) perhaps because there is no TV unit, it was installed without using the AV option the TV module would have given you - this would have been an easy way of getting it to play via the car speakers and the front monitor. If you have the connectors on the loom for a TV module and can get an analogue module for next-to-nothing it may be worth playing about getting it to work this way. The digital TV module is very pricey and hard to find second hand as everyone wants one now, and as the others have said, it's not great on the move and when stationary, you have to be in a perfect position for reception. Luckily lots of the digital modules are "hybrid" and have analogue receivers as well, not sure if they are all like this. Nice to have the PS2 set up though, bet those Sony screens cost a lot when they were installed!!! :roll:

drb5

Post by drb5 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:02 pm

So you think with an analogue TV module, i should be able to hook the PS2 up to both the nav monitor and get sound through the stereo speakers?

Where should i be able to find the connectors for the TV module?

Not fussed about having TV on the move, but being able to play DVD's is a great thing for wee ones. 8-)

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:29 pm

I'm no expert, but the wiring for the TV module should be present on your loom - as Sanj has said, check first to see the plugs are all there before investing in a TV module of any kind. I'm sure the boffs will help you identify the plug and its location. TV modules pop up on ebay from time to time, but as AW8 has warned, analogue TV will be gone in the not-too-distant future so if you do buy a purely analogue tv module, don't pay too much and make sure you realise it will only really give you the AV functionality in the long term, but that may well be all you want. It should just plug in directly to your loom and I don't think it needs any kind of dealer set up, but Sanj and Co could give better advice on this... ;) They can also help with wiring up the PS2 so it plays through the front monitor and car speakers as well as the headrests - it sounds like you need to attend a meet where they are present!! :roll: