Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

New Rubber for Winter

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
squeaky2

Re: New Rubber for Winter

Post by squeaky2 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:32 am

[quote=""CondorX5""] I suppose no-one really wants to drive around on 17" ellipsoid style 56 wheels[/quote]

Oi they were cheap ;)

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:54 am

They are perfect winter wheels, I had them (same pattern, same size, on Vredestein Wintracs) on my X all last winter, but the 19" staggered setup certainly looks a great deal nicer :D :D :D :rofl: The ride on the 17" is also very comfortable compared to the low prof 19"s! They were a real bargain - become really scarce in the winter months!!!!!
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:17 am

My Avon's on 17" last winter was a revelation of driving in snow beyond my expectations. It was great in the Alps without any issues or fear of skidding what so ever, can not recommend winter tyres more then anything.

(Condor - I know, I waited to long to order the tyres so no need to remind me :headbang: )
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

squeaky2

Post by squeaky2 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:39 am

The michelin energy mxv4's on the wheels are marked M + S. does this mean they are winter tyres already?

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:47 am

No, definately not. They are the summer tyres I have and were useless in the winter. My drive has a tiny, tiny decline towards the road and the X5 slid the whole way down on those tyres.

911 50th anniversary -

squeaky2

Post by squeaky2 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:12 pm

mmm will definitly be changing them then

Waka

Post by Waka » Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:56 pm

Aren't snow chains mandatory in alpine countries in the winter?
Does that lessen the need for winter tyres?

W.
Curr. - Silverstone II F85
Prev. - E70 4.0D M Sport
E53 3.0D Sport Facelift - Estoril Blue

ice climber

Post by ice climber » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:06 pm

Tyres are required to be marked M&S in a number of Euro countries, Snow chains have a limited number of practicable applications on the road and may be the last resort in conjunction with your winter tyres. You must have winter tyres on before going over certain alpine roads. When I was in La Grave a couple of winters ago the local police were on the look out for UK cars sans winter tyres and I know one driver was not allowed to drive on to Briancon until tyres were fitted!
After you have driven on snow with "proper" snow tyres you will be amazed......
Steven
Current
Preface 3.0 Sport

Have beens
Too many to list!

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:17 pm

It is also snow tyres OR chains. I drove up straight sheet ice hills last year in the alps and the X5 was solid as a rock on the roads, not a single skid anywhere using the proper snow tyres.

No need for chains (I had the disks fitted for them - but did not need them though).

911 50th anniversary -

Darnicmax

Post by Darnicmax » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:46 pm

Last few years we have gone skiing in the Austrian Alps.
Always pick up a Group B or C rental from Salzburg/Innsbruck airport (such as a Fiesta/Corsa/Polo/Golfetc)....and am always totally amazed by how these smallish front wheel drive cars climb up through snow covered roads (and I mean snow covered roads) high into the Alps. Of course - they are all fitted with Winter tyres...

By and large, my experience to date is whilst there is of course a slowing down and adaption of driving to the conditions...I have rarely seen these Alpine roads (and the villages they are a lifeline for) become clogged and gridlocked the way we see in the UK sometimes.

OK they are better geared for it than us (for example, even the smallest villages have snow clearing equipment)....but Winter tyres play a significant role in keeping the whole country moving...(hence they are compulsory during certain times and locations)

Hmmm...wonder what this winter will bring us? Now I am fully prepared, cue sunshine and the warmest winter on record! :lol:

squeaky2

Post by squeaky2 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:48 pm

[quote=""Darnicmax""]
Hmmm...wonder what this winter will bring us? Now I am fully prepared, cue sunshine and the warmest winter on record! :lol:[/quote]

Ill second that! :fuelfire:

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:21 pm

Yes, no doubt. I have the winter wheels ready to go on, enough anti freeze bought to keep me high for the rest of my life and a snow shuffle.

911 50th anniversary -