Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Anyone used these jacking 'locators' before?

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Darnicmax

Anyone used these jacking 'locators' before?

Post by Darnicmax » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:42 am

With my recent purchase of winter tyres, thoughts strayed to the actual jacking up of the car not only in a safe way (with axle stands of course!)...but also in a way that will minimise any potential damage to the car underbody

Trawling through the various car sites, I came across these jacking 'locators' - which I subsequently bought and are now sitting in the garage ready for use

They simply locate into the jacking point beneath the car - and then you can use a trolley jack (in exactly the same way as the X5 spare wheel scissor jack works).

They seem to be well made and up for the job - but just wondered if anyone here had experience of using them before? (what looks like an allen key head in the photos is actually rubber grommets which hold the locator in place whilst the jack is positioned)

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Re: Anyone used these jacking 'locators' before?

Post by pvr » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:20 pm

Not seen those before, but am interested to hear how you get on. Also, where did you get them from and how much?
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Minda

Post by Minda » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:38 pm

Look a bit OTT, but im sure they will work well, bet they cost a fair bit.
Current 2010 BMW X5 40d Msport E70FL 2014 BMW 435d Cab 2016 Mercedes Vito 119 Sport LWB

Darnicmax

Post by Darnicmax » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:56 pm

Hi PVR

Bought them from a stateside company called 'Reverse Logic' :

http://www.ReverseLogic.us

"motto: 'Jack Pad Tools for People who Love their Cars' !

Dealt with a chap called Fred Gwinn. Couldn't have been more helpful. They were $34.95 each with $6.00 shipping - so total of $75.90 (approx £47 or so).

Arrived within 3 days of me placing the order...and for $6 shipping I could not complain!

Tried them out this afternoon....and absolutely perfect for the job. Safe, secure fit and gives a great footing for the trolley jack (not least of which is the knowledge that its being jacked the way BMW intended!)

If you are ever near Swindon (wilts) you are welcome to take a look

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:46 pm

Do you know if they would fit any BMW? As I remove the wheels for summar / winter, and on the M I remove the wheels to clean them properly it would be a good investment assuming they fit on different models.

Will also check that link ...
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.