Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Daytime Running Lights

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Daytime Running Lights

Post by X5Sport » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:05 pm

With the introduction of the European Directive on Daytime Running Lights (DRL) coming in for all new cars from next year, I was wondering if anyone knows which light units are actually running if you have the option enabled by a Dealer (I assume there's no other way of doing it?) on a post facelift E53? I know they're not mandatory on the vehicle.

Does it turn you HiD dipped beam on, or the main beam on at a lower power, or the angel eyes? I saw it as an option on the coding list when I picked the car up in 2005, but never paid it any attention at the time.

There are aftermarket systems becoming available, most are cheap and nasty, some expensive and nasty, and some not so bad.

Has anyone any knowledge of what lights are on if you have DRL enabled on a HID equipped car with Auto/active headlights?
Last edited by X5Sport on Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

divelab

Re: Daytime Running Lights

Post by divelab » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:11 pm

Silver Sport E53 X5 2003 3.0 DAT

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Daytime Running Lights

Post by X5Sport » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:15 pm

Sort of, and thanks for looking. All the latest models use the angel eyes, but there seems to be a plethora of options for older models depending upon which country the car is built for.

I'm not convinced I'll get the right answer from the dealers either as I've been given duff info so many times by the two around here... :headbang: :fuelfire:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.